Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine on sale at Costco >

Sewing Machine on sale at Costco

Sewing Machine on sale at Costco

Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I purchased my daughter a brother machine at walmart in the early 90's and she is still using it. I have 2 from Costco and they are good machines. Use my Vikings most of the time but still have them and use for back up when needed.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM

I don't think this is just opinion...It's a FACT. I can understand not wanting to pay a lot for a sewing machine, but in that case one would be wise to buy an older all steel machine. CL has many of them. Try it before you buy to make sure it works, and then take it for a servicing, and you should have a machine that will last for years. I prefer the Japanese made Kenmore machines.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Do the research here on the web on Brother machines. Yes, there are lots of people who have them and are satisfied....but there are equal amounts who are not. I am one of the no's. I have purchased two different models of Brother machines, both from Walmart and neither one lasted more than a year with repairs costing more than original purchase price (one machine was $189). If the user is not an everyday sewer/quilter, they may get along just fine. If they use the machine like me and sew everyday, making lots of different things like quilts, handbags, clothing repairs, curtains, etc....you may want to consider a more heavy duty machine. "Most" low end Brother machines are made with primarily plastic parts and will not hold up with heavy usage. This is all just my opinion and personal experience.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Some of these big box machines cost less than the price to clean my machine each year; much less service it if there is a problem. If you are an occasional sewer and not obsessive (who probably needs a more powerful machine), they are a really good deal. If it breaks, get a new one; it honestly costs less than maintaining a "good" machine.

(And yeah, I hate the idea of throw-away culture. But for me, it was almost 20 years before my cheap Walmart machine broke, and then I just got another. I never had any sort of service on it at all. Didn't even oil it, just brushed out the lint.)

I love my Bernina, but it was a huge expense. The big box machines work really well for the kind of sewing most people do. I know tons of people who make quilts, clothes, even skating costumes on Brothers that cost 20x less than what my machine did.
I agree with this philosophy
Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 AM

I got my brother machine from wal mart and I love it. It has been a nice sewer and had never given me any trouble. I have had it now for 3 years.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 AM

A friend of mine bought that machine at Costco and loves it.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 AM

I have a brother that is 15 years old never had a problem and I use it for everything
Old 10-22-2013, 04:34 AM

I think sewing machines are like everything else...sometimes no matter what you pay for the item--high or low--it is a lemon!!!! I don't judge the quality of anything anymore by its name....that is no longer a benchmark..........my feelings are if you like what you see, in your price range, know its limitations and accept them, then go for it and good luck. I have had some very bad experiences with so called reputable things in the past, so now it is anything goes!!!!! Just remember Buyer Beware! (of everything)
Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I bought one for my grand-daughter in-law. It is a Christmas present so I can't tell you how she will like it. I looked at it and it looks great. I read good reviews about it on the net.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 AM

My neighbor called me the other day to let me know that Costco had a Brother machine for sale. She has a Vikiing for her go-to machine, but wants one that she can carry to classes or to her daughter's house without having to take her Viking. I looked the machines up on Costco's website. There are two listed: Brother 1300 and Brother 1355. On their website, the regular price is around $199 (if I recall correctly), but the 1355 is on sale for $135 or 139. Both are computerized with quite a few amenities. I checked with my guru BFF in Texas about these machines and she agreed that it would be a good purchase for that purpose, or for someone who does not plan to pay a fortune for a machine. At that price, yes, it could be considered disposable and replaceable.

I purchased a little Brother machine quite a few years ago to carry to classes. It is extremely lightweight - about 10-11 lbs. and it works very well. I can't recall the model number off hand (not home to look right now). I have a Janome 9000, but it has quit on me a couple of times (once was a fuse problem, this time I don't know - hope a fuse problem again). If it's a fuse problem again, I need to figure out what's causing the fuse to blow. I also have 2 FW that I need to service. I ended up using my little Brother machine to complete my DD DWR QAYG quilt since my Janome quit on me before I finished the quilt. It worked perfectly, even on all of those layers.

I talked to my neighbor yesterday and she informed me that she'd picked up the Brother 1355 machine, but she's waiting until I get home to "unveil" it. haha I'm sure it will entice me to pick one up too! Nothing like having a few back-up machines...never can tell when one might quit working.

Hope this info helps!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 AM

Was the one in the brochure any of these??

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?...sewing+machine