Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Costco Brother® LB-6800THRD Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine >

Costco Brother® LB-6800THRD Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine

Costco Brother® LB-6800THRD Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine

Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Default Costco Brother® LB-6800THRD Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine

This is probably in the wrong place so feel free to move it!! Costco for $349.99, not sure if it is a good price or not. But the hoop is only 4 X 4 if you were looking for something bigger.

[h=1]http://www.costco.com/.product.11528279.html?&EMID=B2C_2014_1124_DecMail er/MVM_computers[/h]
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to let my friend know about this. She's been looking for something like this.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 AM

Can't help on that particular machine, but I had bought the xr1355 when it was on sale. I really like brother sewing machines and this particular one has been a workhorse. I do all my piecing on it as I have the 1/4" foot. Have had no problems with it and love the extra fancy stitching. Also, Costco stands behind what they sell. If I had the extra money, I would probably buy the this embroider machine.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
This is probably in the wrong place so feel free to move it!! Costco for $349.99, not sure if it is a good price or not. But the hoop is only 4 X 4 if you were looking for something bigger.

http://www.costco.com/.product.11528279.html?&EMID=B2C_2014_1124_DecMail er/MVM_computers
The 77 reviews are right there to read. It is made in China. Notice that even the positive reviews have frequent references to how good Costco was to take the machine back when the buyer/user had problems such as unable to wind bobbin, tension broke, wobbly plug inside machine, etc. I guess it all depends on how much aggravation you can tolerate and how far away Costco is from you.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Is this the same machine?
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LB-680...dp/B004URQA8A/
If so, the Amazon reviews may provide additional info.

This looks like a similar machine on Amazon with a similar price to Costco:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LB6800...dp/B003EPLBMO/
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
The 77 reviews are right there to read. It is made in China.
Most machines are made in China or Taiwan anymore, so that has nothing to do with the quality of the individual machine. I take a lot of these kind of reviews with a grain of salt. If you read them carefully, you'll notice how many are from inexperienced people buying their first sewing machine, have no real idea what they're doing so problems can often be attributed to user error.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 11-24-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Most machines are made in China or Taiwan anymore, so that has nothing to do with the quality of the individual machine. I take a lot of these kind of reviews with a grain of salt. If you read them carefully, you'll notice how many are from inexperienced people buying their first sewing machine, have no real idea what they're doing so problems can often be attributed to user error.

Cari
I agree, I have had quite a few low end brothers probably made in china all for many years that work wonderfully still. I do think many problems are attributed to user error, yes there are always lemons in every brand in every price range, but I place little value on reviews especially if they have not had the machine for any length of time. Even me for my TOL when doing embroidery encounter problems occassionally and in the end it is always user error, wrong needle, wrong stabilizer, not enough stabilizer. I can see it being easy for a newbie, especially one not the best experienced with technology getting frustrated. I see some struggle with these high tech machines and my 5 year old who loves gadgets knows them like the back of her hand, better than me even
Old 11-25-2014, 04:05 AM

I have this Brother LB6800 machine. I wanted to try embroidery and it is a terrific machine for making quilt labels. You can buy a slightly larger hoop and move it to create larger than 4x4 but you need embroidery software. I use Sew What Embroidery software by S&S computing. It does what I need. I really love this little machine for classes and piecing quilts.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 AM

my local sewing shop has a janome 300 with small and large hoops for $300
Old 11-25-2014, 07:25 AM

I bought a small brother embroidery/ sewing machine at Walmarts in 2006. It was on special for 500. Has the small 4by4 hoop. I bought it on a whim because it does Disney. Has never given me a bit of trouble. Do not do much embroidery. I use it in my RV. Has all kinds of features and has pieced a number of quilt tops. I don't think it would be good for very heavy fabrics. I have too many machines but can't part with this one!