View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
EllieGirl

You didn't say if it's a BSN program or Nurse Practitioner, but congratulations! My daughter will graduate in May from a NP program, is working part-time so she can get in her clinical hours. I agree with what everyone has said.

Years ago DH & I started following Dave Ramsey's program. We didn't have a lot of credit cards but enough we didn't like it. He recommends the envelope program. You put aside "X" amount of money for groceries, health/beauty, eating out, utilities, etc. Put cash in the envelope for each category that you will need. Then that's it for the month. DH & I did this specifically for eating out because we ate out too much.

Cooking meals ahead and freeze them ahead. It saves time and money. I very seldom buy name brand anything, it's all generic foods. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, plastic sandwich bags, etc is generic. I use vinegar, water, and peroxide for cleaning. It's cheaper than cleaners and better for the environment.

If you drink soda, stop. It's expensive. I agree about the coffee, drinks, etc. Don't buy them at work, take it with you. Pack your lunch instead of buying it at work.

Once you get into a routine of cutting back, saving money will become second hand.