Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 PM
QuilterMomma

Fantastic, some more pieced blocks to add to the applique ones. Glad you did those. Tfch8184, one thing I learned a while back from an old quilt show on HGTV, from Sally Collins, is that we all have our own ppm, and that is why the 1/4" foot is not always the perfect answer. If you take into account the thickness of your thread, the pressing of the seam and the depth of the ruler, you can be off on the 1/4". What she says to do is sew shy of the 1/4" edge of the foot. Sew this way till you come out perfect. So take two same size cut squares, sew them together, lets say 2.5" squares, sew them together. They should then measure 4.5" when done, if not, sew them again and again, of course ripping each time wrong, or toss them and start with a different pair, until you come out correct. Knowing how you acquired the correct size with the thread and fabric you are using will tell you where you must feed your fabric so you come out correctly. Piece a few minature quilts applying these principals, guarantee you will start sewing exactly the 12.5" squares. Mine have a tendancy to come out 12 3/8" which drives me crazy so I have to spit a seam and try over. Sally Collins is fantastic at getting the pieces correct. http://www.sallycollins.org/