View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 AM
carolaug

I stopped doing coupons, unless its a cash coupon, such as Joann's or Hobby Lobby, Lowes and I only use them if I really need something. I found clipping coupons just made me buy stuff that I did not need. My husband reminded me its not a bargain if you really don't need it in the first place. I find shopping at consignment shops or Goodwill is a great money saver...you can find lots of brand new items for under 10.00 and so much cheaper than walking into any other store. I do not need to shop there and many people I know can't believe I would...for me..I can't believe someone pays 100.00 for a pair of paints or the new sweater I got at GW for 7.99 (with the store price tag) that in the store goes for 228.00 (who on earth would pay that for a sweater) Antiques stores are wonderful to spend the day looking...its like a day at the museum. Keep the heat down, put on a quilt in the morning while drinking your coffee. Shop in your stash when making quilts. Library for DVD's, books, newspapers, internet etc. Dollar store for cleaning products...remember those dollars add up so think...do I really need this, will I use it. Eating out is a huge expense. Pack a few snacks and maybe a sandwich or two in the car for those long trips. A small cooler in the car works well for those who travel a lot during the day. My husband keeps water bottles in his cooler. when you buy some thing - remember to think I had to work ( ) hours for this...is it worth it? Hairdressers are very expensive - cut, tip and all the stuff they talk you into. Its saves money not having a short haircut - lots of maintenance with short style I just cut mine - love the look but its a lot more work. Buy your books second hand if you do not want to get them free at the library. If you must go out to eat....have a water instead of a soda or wine....split the meal with a friend if possible. Most places serve way to much food on the plate. Find a hobby at home, like quilting. You save money on gas, going out to eat, just spending money by walking into a store...just shop from your stash. When cleaning out the closet, cut up material to make a few quilts for the local animal shelter. You would be surprised on how much you save by just learning that there is so much we buy that we never use or really need to use. Tell everyone that you do not buy gifts for birthdays or christmas - I only buy for my kids and my parents (I get them gift cert more to get the out of the house to enjoy a day out) and that is it...oh and now my grand daughter.