Thread: Singer lube
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 AM
chickadeee55

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Marilynn,

If you use that synthetic grease your Singer motors will not be getting lubed. They are designed to use a grease that softens and flows. Since the synthetic grease does not do that it will not flow down the wick and get to the bearings.

It might work for a while if you put it directly on the bearings, but eventually even synthetic grease gives up and you'll either have to tear down the motors for a relube, or buy new new motors.

For gears it's not a problem so long as the chemical make up of the grease does not degrade the plastic the gears are made from.

Joe
Hi Joe, this is Rick, Marilynn's (DH), I guess that's what we are called. Anyway, I specifically asked about using this on motor wicks and he says absolutely. They have been in business for over 70 years and we have been friends for 12 years so I don't believe he would give me bad info. I will do some experimenting, applying this grease to new wicks and warming with a heat gun or blow dryer to see if it starts to flow, or soften when warmed.
I do appreciate your input though and will let you guys know what I find.
Rick