Singer lube

Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Marilynn,

If you use that synthetic grease your Singer motors will not be getting lubed. They are designed to use a grease that softens and flows. Since the synthetic grease does not do that it will not flow down the wick and get to the bearings.

It might work for a while if you put it directly on the bearings, but eventually even synthetic grease gives up and you'll either have to tear down the motors for a relube, or buy new new motors.

For gears it's not a problem so long as the chemical make up of the grease does not degrade the plastic the gears are made from.

Joe
Hi Joe, this is Rick, Marilynn's (DH), I guess that's what we are called. Anyway, I specifically asked about using this on motor wicks and he says absolutely. They have been in business for over 70 years and we have been friends for 12 years so I don't believe he would give me bad info. I will do some experimenting, applying this grease to new wicks and warming with a heat gun or blow dryer to see if it starts to flow, or soften when warmed.
I do appreciate your input though and will let you guys know what I find.
Rick
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM

Rick,

Check the melting point of that synthetic grease. We had a thread here just a month or three ago about the Singer lube vs petroleum jelly vs Tri-Flow grease. ( I don't know the title of it, nor did I bookmark it. My bad. )
In that thread our members either found a source or tested their own grease and found that the Singer motor lube and petroleum jelly melted at 115º. The melting temp of the synthetyic grease is higher. That is part of what makes the synthetic grease great for gears. It doesn't melt and it doesn't fling off like a lighter grease.
That's also what makes it unsuitable for motors with grease pots and wicks.

I don't know the repair shop you're talking about, but ( no offense intended ) I wouldn't believe them on this issue. That is just my belief due to some 45 + years of using oils, greases, and other lubes on various types of motors and bearings and other equipment.

Joe
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM

Here ya go, Joe: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t228143.html

Triflow synthetic grease is advertised as "Non-melting" - undesirable in this particular situation.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM

I have been watching this thread with great interest and I just finished speaking with Kevin Wall at Super Lube. What a nice person he was and very informative. Joe is right, the Super Lube multi purpose grease will not go down the wick, but the light oil and extra light oil will. The extra light oil is like water with the light oil a little thicker, and they will not hurt the plastic gears.

He suggests the Super Lube synthetic grease for the gears and light weight oils for wicking and other applications, they also have oil with Teflon. Their site is extensive with many drop down menus with sidebar menus and that is where to go to find oils and then find the oil/PTFE which is Teflon, I believe he said they trade marked it as Synco-lon. It comes in different viscosities and could replace Tri flow. Basically he said for sewing machines you need at least two or maybe even three different products if you are really into oiling to keep them up and running smoothly depending on the needs of the machines and the motors.

Their oils range in viscosity from peanut butter grade 2 to water grade 000. Very informative site and very nice people. Hope this sheds some light on Super Lube

LINK BELOW

http://www.super-lube.com/grease-app...ns-ezp-16.html
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 AM

Well, it looks like I will have 12 tubes of Super-Lube for greasing gears, should last a lifetime. I did an experiment on my lunch today using the original Singer lube in the lead tube & Super Lube. I heated up a small amount on a thin piece of metal and the Singer lube liquified after a short time. The Super-Lube never came close to liquifying. I also read some info that Super Lube has no dropping point so it will never liquify. I see on sew classic blog that as of 2013 she no longer recommends the Singer lube do to a higher melting point and recommends Vaseline instead, which is kind of what the original vintage Singer lube feels like. I will have to let my friend know what I have learned on this lubricant, but I'm sure he won't want to hear it.

I guess I might have to get my own user ID........................
Thanks everyone for your input.
I am ((almost)) thinking that some of the high tech synthetic oil's might be a possibility.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Marilynn,

If you use that synthetic grease your Singer motors will not be getting lubed. They are designed to use a grease that softens and flows. Since the synthetic grease does not do that it will not flow down the wick and get to the bearings.

It might work for a while if you put it directly on the bearings, but eventually even synthetic grease gives up and you'll either have to tear down the motors for a relube, or buy new new motors.

For gears it's not a problem so long as the chemical make up of the grease does not degrade the plastic the gears are made from.

Joe

You were right Joe, thanks for the heads up. Rick
Old 11-01-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Here ya go, Joe: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t228143.html

Triflow synthetic grease is advertised as "Non-melting" - undesirable in this particular situation.
Tammi,

Thanks. I bookmarked it this time.

Joe
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 AM

I need help... I have a Singer 101 with the circular potted motor (?) not the semicircle/rectangle found on other types of motors. When you take off the outer cover and remove the coils/motor to get to the grease cups and there is a well in there that has to be filled with grease as well as the two cups. The other night I bought the blue and yellow motor lube thinking it was the correct stuff, filled both cups and the well and put it back together. I didn't change/fully clean the wicks because I didn't have new ones. I planned to by the new wicks and just do that piece but now its looking like I really should clean both cups and the well out again and replace that white stuff with PJ or whatever it is that is in the pink tube.
Does this sound right?
I am new to this and there is very little info on the 101 on the net so if I messed up some of the terms it's my newbie showing...