Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Gear Lube

Blog Entries

Gear Lube

My manual says use Gear Lube on the Gears, does it matter what kind of Lube I use. It is a Singer 401 A. I don't want to mess it up. Joy
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

I wonder where to get sewing machine grease as well. I have oil but have not seen actual grease.

According to the Vintage Singers group over on yahoo.com you can use plain old vaseline. I just used that on my 401A.

Shari

There is Singer lubricant (not oil) available at most big box stores. It comes in a tube. It looks like a whitish grease. This is what you should use for the gears only.

Blog Entries
    I've seen it at WalMart and JoAnn's. I purchased mine at my LQS. sew-classic online is another source.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
    According to the Vintage Singers group over on yahoo.com you can use plain old vaseline. I just used that on my 401A.

Shari
    That is great to know as I live at least an hour from and sewing type stores ,thanks!

You can use Singer grease (which can be mail ordered from places like Sew-Classic and Jo-Ann Fabric) or Vaseline. You could also use something called Tri-Flow Grease which they sell at bicycle shops, if you have one near you, but I'm guessing the Vaseline will be the easiest to get.

- Rain

Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/

I live in a small line so I bought 5 tubes of singer lube on ebay. I also order other items from Sew-Classic.

I buy my Singer lubricant from JoAnn's - about $3 a tube. Just an FYI - use a small tipped needle to poke a hole in the cap or you'll have it everywhere. I know from experience.

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    I have used vaseline to lube pot motored Singers many times with no problems, I like it because it seems cleaner and its cheaper.
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

Singer makes a gear lubricant. You can get it from a Singer dealer. I bought a tube of it at JoAnn ETC.

I've been told to use lithium grease that is sold at auto parts stores. While I was purchasing this just the other day, the sales man tried to talk me into a high tech lubricant called dry lubricant. He said it wouldn't attract dust. I didn't purchase but my husband thought that would be the best way to go. Does anybody know anything about using this product for grease in sewing machines? I know not to use anything but sewing machine oil for the oiled parts.

I've heard NOT to use lithium.

Shari

Quote Originally Posted by quiltbuddy View Post
    I've been told to use lithium grease that is sold at auto parts stores. While I was purchasing this just the other day, the sales man tried to talk me into a high tech lubricant called dry lubricant. He said it wouldn't attract dust. I didn't purchase but my husband thought that would be the best way to go. Does anybody know anything about using this product for grease in sewing machines? I know not to use anything but sewing machine oil for the oiled parts.

Blog Entries
    I have a mashed and mangled tube of sewing machine grease that I baby due to the fact have not been able to find any around here. Thanks for tip on Walmart, going to check there. JoAnn here does not carry any grease. Don't want to use
    anything strange in the machines. I am one with my machines.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your help. I like the idea of vaseline because it is available and cheap. I use Sewing Ma chine oli to oil with but was needing something to use on the gears on my 401 A. I will be using the vaseline today, lol.....might look for the tri-flow at the bike shops too. Again thanks sew so much.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
    I have a mashed and mangled tube of sewing machine grease that I baby due to the fact have not been able to find any around here. Thanks for tip on Walmart, going to check there. JoAnn here does not carry any grease. Don't want to use
    anything strange in the machines. I am one with my machines.
    Actually, they do. Joannes keeps it in the notions aisle with the needles. It's in a red Singer tube.

Blog Entries
    where exactly do you put this. speak to me as if i have trouble understanding the language. i am not a gearhead. i know how to plug in the machine. that is all!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Actually, they do. Joannes keeps it in the notions aisle with the needles. It's in a red Singer tube.
    Going to have to check it out, have looked Jo Anns over with a magnifier so to say and seen none. Ask them in the sewing center but but guess all the newer machines don't use it. Looked on notions wall but now can focus on looking for a little red tube. Checked Walmart yesterday, nothing. Cept a gas leak and everyone was ask to leave their carts and quietly exit the store. Thanks, will check out Jo Anns better today.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

You can usually find it at Hancocks or JoAnns. I have not bought it in a while, because a tube lasts so long, but I have always found it at Hancocks.

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    where exactly do you put this. speak to me as if i have trouble understanding the language. i am not a gearhead. i know how to plug in the machine. that is all!
    I think you only need grease for older metal sewing machines. The Singer manuals that came with the machine will tell you where to put it. You only need a very small amount.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to you all. I just greased the gears with Vaseline. It seemed to do the trick. I might get some reg lub later on but this seems to do ok. Some say they have use it for a long time so it must be ok. Thanks again, Granny
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    I wonder where to get sewing machine grease as well. I have oil but have not seen actual grease.
    I bought 10 tubes on ebay. He seemed to have plenty of it....Good luck.....