Gear Lube

Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Singer makes a gear lubricant. You can get it from a Singer dealer. I bought a tube of it at JoAnn ETC.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM

I've been told to use lithium grease that is sold at auto parts stores. While I was purchasing this just the other day, the sales man tried to talk me into a high tech lubricant called dry lubricant. He said it wouldn't attract dust. I didn't purchase but my husband thought that would be the best way to go. Does anybody know anything about using this product for grease in sewing machines? I know not to use anything but sewing machine oil for the oiled parts.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM

I've heard NOT to use lithium.

Shari

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy View Post
I've been told to use lithium grease that is sold at auto parts stores. While I was purchasing this just the other day, the sales man tried to talk me into a high tech lubricant called dry lubricant. He said it wouldn't attract dust. I didn't purchase but my husband thought that would be the best way to go. Does anybody know anything about using this product for grease in sewing machines? I know not to use anything but sewing machine oil for the oiled parts.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:35 AM

I have a mashed and mangled tube of sewing machine grease that I baby due to the fact have not been able to find any around here. Thanks for tip on Walmart, going to check there. JoAnn here does not carry any grease. Don't want to use
anything strange in the machines. I am one with my machines.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Thank you all for your help. I like the idea of vaseline because it is available and cheap. I use Sewing Ma chine oli to oil with but was needing something to use on the gears on my 401 A. I will be using the vaseline today, lol.....might look for the tri-flow at the bike shops too. Again thanks sew so much.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
I have a mashed and mangled tube of sewing machine grease that I baby due to the fact have not been able to find any around here. Thanks for tip on Walmart, going to check there. JoAnn here does not carry any grease. Don't want to use
anything strange in the machines. I am one with my machines.
Actually, they do. Joannes keeps it in the notions aisle with the needles. It's in a red Singer tube.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 AM

where exactly do you put this. speak to me as if i have trouble understanding the language. i am not a gearhead. i know how to plug in the machine. that is all!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Actually, they do. Joannes keeps it in the notions aisle with the needles. It's in a red Singer tube.
Going to have to check it out, have looked Jo Anns over with a magnifier so to say and seen none. Ask them in the sewing center but but guess all the newer machines don't use it. Looked on notions wall but now can focus on looking for a little red tube. Checked Walmart yesterday, nothing. Cept a gas leak and everyone was ask to leave their carts and quietly exit the store. Thanks, will check out Jo Anns better today.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 AM

You can usually find it at Hancocks or JoAnns. I have not bought it in a while, because a tube lasts so long, but I have always found it at Hancocks.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
where exactly do you put this. speak to me as if i have trouble understanding the language. i am not a gearhead. i know how to plug in the machine. that is all!
I think you only need grease for older metal sewing machines. The Singer manuals that came with the machine will tell you where to put it. You only need a very small amount.