View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 05:55 AM
jkaczor19

I think which magazine is best really depends on what you plan to use the magazine for and what your quilting aesthetic is. I would not limit yourself to "easy quilting" or beginner magazines (unless you truly plan to use the patterns). You can find in depth descriptions of technique in a lot of places, I think the strength of magazines lies in keeping you up to date in trends & fabrics (for inspiration), introducing techniques so you can push your skills, and then learning about the larger quilting community (both current and historical).

For full disclosure, I lrarely use a whole pattern, but I draw a lot of inspiration from quilts I see in magazines. My favorites are Quilter's Newsletter, Quiltmania, and American Patchwork & Quilting. I really like applique, and I use and adapt the applique patterns from both APQ and Quiltmania frequently. I am a younger quilter, and find that I don't always love the fabric choices in Quilter's Newsletter patterns, but always find the articles well-written and researched. I have learned a lot about quilting history and the quilting community from that magazine. I think APQ is definitely beginner friendly (patterns are well-explained and user friendly). Quiltmania patterns are not beginner friendly (or even intermediate friendly), but it is the most amazing magazine for inspiration-- if you like their aesthetic.

I recently bought a copy of Quilty Magazine that another poster mentioned(think it is published by Fons & Porter), and if you are interested in modern quilting, I recommend it too. It is a beautiful magazine with a young, fresh feel. I may ask for a subscription at Christmas. I would describe it as beginner friendly.