View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 AM
MacThayer

I like both Quiltmaker and Quilty for their explanations of the designs. I think these are two good magazines for newbies, although I still get them!

The book you shouldn't be without is :The Quilter's Bible. No quilter should be without it. It's awesome, better than any other "how to" quilting book on the market, in my opinion, and I have them all. LOL!

I am also working my way through the Quilter's Academy books. They're on Amazon, but I picked mine up in a 2nd hand store (Albris, on line) for cheaper. The Freshman book is focused on good piecing and cutting, and getting those two things straight has helped me with everything I quilt. I also have the rest of the books: Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Year Quilting, and I know they are working on a Master's level book. If you do all of the projects in those books, you will be a good quilter -- that's how I learned so much in a short time. I still refer back to books I've finished. Yes, it can be a bit tedious, but the premise is that each skill taught prepares you for the next skill to be learned. Repeating the projects in a slightly different way helps to "gel" the skills and gives you practice at them. You learn a lot about color coordination along the way. If you can do a "scant 1/4 inch seam", you can do a 1/4, or 5/8's, or whatever size seam. Learning how to consistently sew a specific sized seam is invaluable, and so helpful when you piece things together, because the blocks match. I didn't know Harriet Hargraves had a quilt shop, and I don't see advertising in this series, at least yet. Perhaps I'm oblivious to it, which is possible. The library might carry them, so that would be a good source to try them out cheaply.

Best of luck to you!

And write to the quilting board when you have questions! We love Newbies!