View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Rodney

Default Singer model 101 questions

I started doing today what I should have done from the beginning: Clean out the old grease and replace it with new in my daughter's Singer model 101. That part is going well enough but I do have a couple questions. The stop motion doesn't work well on the machine. The dial turns but the machine is reluctant to stop turning for bobbin winding. It does work-just not as well as it should. I think it is dried up oil or grease in the stop motion mechanism but am unsure how to proceed on tearing it down far enough to clean the gummy residue out. Can anyone help with this? I downloaded the owner's manual but that is about maintenance and use. It doesn't go into tearing the machine down for repairs.
Also, recommendations for grease for the motor and gears? Sew Classic recommends triflow grease for the gears and possibly either petroleum jelly or triflow if I'm reading it correctly for the motor. The Singer model 101 has a potted motor with grease cups and wicks. The site says the new formula for Singer lube isn't suitable for these old motors due to it won't wick properly. Can I get by with the petroleum jelly until I order some triflow? So far finding a light synthetic grease locally hasn't worked out. The machine will see light use (if any) while waiting.
Thanks for any help,
Rodney