Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM
coastienest

Well, I do a couple things. First I have fat qtrs. folded and standing on end in a shallow plastic container, all arranged by color. Secondly my Asian fat qtrs. are stored on my open shelving, stacked on top of one another. I attached a picture so you can have a visual. Then all my fabric yardage is also stored in these open crates stacked on top of each other on top of a filing cabinet/drawer unit. If I have a 1/2 or more yard of what I have in that same yardage I will put it with that fabric. If not it is put into another plastic container marked 1/4 yard. If I cut the leftover into strips or squares I also have corresponding containers for that piece.
One thing I have learned to do also is to have a separate container for pieces left from a project. If I finished a project and there is fabric left I will put it there and heaven for bid if I need to make a repair way down the line, I have the fabric I need. I'm not talking yardage or amounts like that, but will keep 1/4 yards and under. I keep it separate then I know I won't use it for future projects. And then again if I make something and decide later I'd like a pillow or a little wall hanging to coordinate with that piece, I have the matching fabric.
Hope I haven't confused you too much.
Attached Thumbnails organizing-fat-qtrs-2.jpg   organizing-fat-qtrs.jpg