Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 AM
grant15clone

That is a very cool machine Steve. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I have been working on a Singer 27 in a Treadle Cabinet from 1896 for a good friend of mine. It has been in their family for generations but only used as a piece of furniture for at least the last 40 years. The machine was neglected for at least that long too. I finished restoring it yesterday and wanted to share some before and after pictures of this wonderful machine. I did not repaint or replace a single part on it. I used car wax to clean it and followed up with sewing machine oil. The varnish was badly oxidized so I did not rub hard. I just gently waxed it and I had no additional "silvering" of the decals and had no loss of any of them either. The metal parts were cleaned with wadding polish and some were polished with a Dremel with a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge. Some of the parts were really rusted badly and pitted too but I was able to improve them quite a bit. Some parts like the foot lever, I thought that would have to be replaced, but it came out as smooth and shiny as a new piece.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447787[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447788[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447789[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447790[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447791[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447792[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447794[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447795[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails front-before-after.jpg   back-before-after.jpg   back-close-up-before-after.jpg   bobbin-winder-before-after.jpg   faceplate-before-after.jpg  

foot-before-after.jpg   hook-before-after.jpg   decal-before-during-after.jpg   tension-before-after.jpg