Old 11-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Just Jan

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Sounds almost like a hash. my mother would make a breakfast hash with leftover potatoes and onions, bacon/ham, mushrooms. but she would toast bread and add to it. Also would throw eggs into the mix. She called it a poor man's breakfast with a rich man's flare. She used what milk was left in the fridge. It was such a good recipe that when we had company she would cook extra bacon throughout the week and now often when I have left over potatoes and ham/bacon I put the mixture in a dish and make an omelet with it for DH breakfast. Can do a lot of things with it.
I tried it tonight and it was great! I didn't have any leftover potatoes so I cut up two medium sz.red potatoes, left the skins on and neuked them for a few minutes until tender. Then I put cooking oil in a skillet and added the potatoes, three slices of torn up stale bread, chopped onions& seasoned salt. Then in a coffee mug I beat up two eggs in about a cup of milk and poured over the skillet mix. Let it all cook and steam together (without a lid) until it sort of dried out and browned, stirring constantly. Next time I will plan ahead and have some meat to add. Bacon bits or crumbled sausage would be great but any leftover meat would be good too. I put gravy on mine and pigged out!
When I saw the recipe "DJRL" sent the link to, I knew by the name Pennsylvania Dutch that had to be right! Thats the area I grew up in. I just combined part of your recipe with part of hers and got exactly what I wanted. Thanks to everyone who helped.