Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Bread-Potatoes not Potato Bread, want recipe. >

Bread-Potatoes not Potato Bread, want recipe.

Bread-Potatoes not Potato Bread, want recipe.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Sounds almost like a hash. my mother would make a breakfast hash with leftover potatoes and onions, bacon/ham, mushrooms. but she would toast bread and add to it. Also would throw eggs into the mix. She called it a poor man's breakfast with a rich man's flare. She used what milk was left in the fridge. It was such a good recipe that when we had company she would cook extra bacon throughout the week and now often when I have left over potatoes and ham/bacon I put the mixture in a dish and make an omelet with it for DH breakfast. Can do a lot of things with it.
That sounds a lot more like it! Yes, I'll bet its the same thing. I had forgotten about the eggs, and my mom used bread but your mom used toast. I'm going to try making some this weekend. thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Yes that is very similar but made in the oven as opposed to being browned in a skillet. I am going to try that recipe too. Sure makes me hungry! I'm about to leave work now and guess what I'm making for supper! lol Thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by djrl View Post
I don't make a full recipe, but this gives you the idea: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/s74e85fi...d-filling.html
Yes, the only thing that's different is that this recipe is made in the oven and mom's was made in a skillet and browned. I'm sure going to try it both ways. I've never had it made in the oven but it sounds easy. thanks for the link.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Sounds almost like a hash. my mother would make a breakfast hash with leftover potatoes and onions, bacon/ham, mushrooms. but she would toast bread and add to it. Also would throw eggs into the mix. She called it a poor man's breakfast with a rich man's flare. She used what milk was left in the fridge. It was such a good recipe that when we had company she would cook extra bacon throughout the week and now often when I have left over potatoes and ham/bacon I put the mixture in a dish and make an omelet with it for DH breakfast. Can do a lot of things with it.
I tried it tonight and it was great! I didn't have any leftover potatoes so I cut up two medium sz.red potatoes, left the skins on and neuked them for a few minutes until tender. Then I put cooking oil in a skillet and added the potatoes, three slices of torn up stale bread, chopped onions& seasoned salt. Then in a coffee mug I beat up two eggs in about a cup of milk and poured over the skillet mix. Let it all cook and steam together (without a lid) until it sort of dried out and browned, stirring constantly. Next time I will plan ahead and have some meat to add. Bacon bits or crumbled sausage would be great but any leftover meat would be good too. I put gravy on mine and pigged out!
When I saw the recipe "DJRL" sent the link to, I knew by the name Pennsylvania Dutch that had to be right! Thats the area I grew up in. I just combined part of your recipe with part of hers and got exactly what I wanted. Thanks to everyone who helped.