View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 07:24 AM
KalamaQuilts

I think the 'feel like an outsider' thing isn't just with guilds but with any organization that has been established awhile. Lions, VFW, etc.Those who were early joiners have formed links, and a new person feels those fences whether meant or not.

You will see the most active members in any group (Quilt Board and any other forum or email/yahoogroups included) all chat together because they have a history. It isn't meant to be snobbery but it is the common human development. So those of us outside the group aren't very comfortable.

I only belong to one email yahoogroup, and the only time I turn on the mail to recieve the posts is during the mystery coming up. I'm already sick of the ongoing conversations by the regulars Who cares? Not me, but they do...again, human nature.

Don't take it personal... I had the most fun when I put a note in the Portland guilds newsletter asking if there were any quilters that wanted to form a mini-group in my zipcode. I remember well the time one of the members brought a rotary cutter, using it on a breadboard that had a piece of linoleum nailed to it. We were raw quilters then

At the current local guild I just asked during open time if anyone wanted to start a mini group. It too was a wonderful group, only gone now because all the members have moved or sadly, died.

On the same vein I was invited twice to a mini group that had been in existence for about 10 years at the time. Nicest ladies in the world, but they were a group and I was an outsider so I didn't go any more. It is hard to break through that natural comradre and find a spot as a newcomer.

I guess what I'm taking a lot of words to say is don't take it personal...except the lady who was ejected from the dinner...gad, that was COLD!