Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Groups - Yes or No >

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 PM

First, a stitching group is great. You can meet in a variety of places. My suggestion is to first decide where you would like your group to meet. I was setting up a group to meet at Borders and then found out that they were closing. Due to an injury, I am kindof on hold this winter, but I have found that there are several local restaurants that have places set aside for birthday parties and the like that make ideal meeting places. Coffee shops are not so good because the lighting is too poor for stitching. Consider calling some churches for space as well. Look at your times as well - maybe meeting for breakfast on a Saturday is what works for your group.

It's hard to set up a group that meets at each other's homes, but that certainly can be done and is great for a small group. Some folks may be uncomfortable having a meeting at their home, have a small apartment or live quite a distance from all other members, so have a backup place for those situations. I am a member of a book club that has met in each other's homes for two decades now.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 AM

I belong to a group that comes from several small towns in the area. We meet at the Senior Center in the one same town the first Sat. of each month. We bring a potluck dish, have show and tell and sew or just visit. You can also choose to have a secret sister. We welcome anyone who wants to come. Sometimes someone will give a class and you can choose to take it or not. Lots of fun. I also belong to another group of about 6 or 7 that meets one night every week. We have put together a retreat and open it up to others and have had it filled every year. Can't wait for January to go to the next one-4 days long. All we seem to do it sew and eat. Great fun.