Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Groups - Yes or No >

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Old 11-24-2013, 07:01 AM

Often the guilds have small groups called bees that are usually lots of fun. You get to know more people and see what they are doing. Also, the bee I belong to shares patterns and we take turns teaching techniques. Everyone participates and we have a great day, Lunch out as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM

I belong to an organized guild and a small group which isn't affiliated w/ the guild group. The small group is a closer knit group of friends who enjoy Contemporary quilting. We decide on challenges for each month excluding Dec., (too busy and we don't meet that month). I enjoy both, but prefer the small group. We meet in a meeting room at a local hotel and pay $2 apiece each time (to pay for the rental of the space). I do like the guild tho, too and I'm exposed to more traditional things there.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 AM

The only group I belong to is this Board and it gives the chance to share and learn. I've made some very good friends through this Board even though we've never met in person. I love to talk quilting, but when I work on my projects I like to do it alone. So I'm not much help to you with your question, but if you enjoy the company of other quilters while you work then by all means do consider joining.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 AM

My church has a group of ladies that get together weekly to do charity projects. Our ages range from mid 30's to 96 years old. The 96 year old lady started the group several years ago. She kept saying she was tired of talking, I hope we can do something to help other people. We named our group Lorena's Hope. We mainly make quilts but, we make things people need going on mission trips also. There have been as many as 16 of us, but probably 10 are there every week. I enjoy it. We bring a pot luck dish. Our church secretary and another lady, not interested in sewing, get lunch ready for us every week. Our pastor's wife comes in around noon with a dish. The pastor, ass.pastor (my DH) and any other members working on the church join us for lunch.
I had to move my Mom in with us. She cannot be left alone. She has had several strokes. I've been able to talk her into going 3 times in 2 years. That keeps me home now and I miss it. DH comes home to stay with Mom when he can, but often he is at the hospital with a family or needed somewhere during that time. I've thought about asking a couple of ladies if they would like to get together in my home on another day, but I have room for 4 machines and I'm afraid it could cause hurt feelings. So now I go when I can and thank God for the extra time He has given us together. And that Mom's mind has not been effected.
I read on here everyday and enjoy the people here. I post occasionally but mainly read and think I have to try that. This board has added quilts to my list and I have learned many things.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 AM

There are only 3 in our group. We meet about every 3 weeks at one of our homes.

Right now we are paper piecing. Different fabrics same pattern. Last week we purchased our next project.

I enjoy it when we spend all day together piecing our quilts.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Small quilting groups are wonderful. I belong to one and we make up the rules as we go but they are always informal in nature. We are not governed by a larger group and that is just what this groups wants...total autonomy. We share ideas in quilting, have a door prize at our once a month meeting, we have a free for all table, simple snacks at each meeting, and we do charity projects.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM

I just do the Quilting Board. I love it. I can be on as much as I like or because of work as little as I can because of work.
This fits my schedule.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Terri where in Alabama are you? I'm in Huntsville and there are two guilds... the big Heritage quilters and a smaller less formal modern guild. depending on your style of quilting maybe the smaller informal group would be a better fit?

I had gone to one meeting at the big guild and didn't feel like I fit there. The smaller guild is more active and less formal so I enjoy the meetings and the group sewing days.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I have a group that meets every Thursday night at my house for about the last ten years. I have 8 children still at home and we have our own business.

I have it every Thursday evening same time.
You will probably need to provide a large cutting board, iron and ironing board.
You will need snacks and drinks.

Some problems I have run into-
Demanding people that think that I am a free alternative to paid classes at a store.
People that take/use my stuff and at times damage it. This especially applies to rulers, cutters and scissors.
Dominant people that make it miserable for the whole group and or start planning other things instead of quilting, going to movies, eating out etc.
People that come too early and or stay too late.

I do like it and am glad to have it at my house. Currently I am blessed with a studio that is large so we meet in there. For those that are done quilting or can't because of current medical issues there is an area with a couch and tv they can sit or visit. My studio is upstairs which makes it that some people need help carrying their stuff up.

I started this as an alternative for myself to have a quilt group I did not have to pay for. A popular quilt store has a quilt group but it was for pay. Often the group would be full or at other times there were not enough people so it would be canceled on the last moment.

We used to do more things together as a group like a small retreat at a member's home or vacation condo, quilt store runs and conventions but due to the economy this has really slowed to almost none. We now share fabric finds off of Craigslist and others now also bring snacks at times.

Over time I have also put down some basic rules and parameters as to what is available for the group and that I am a participant and not a teacher or store clerk. We do help each other as a group and share if we want to. I do also have an extra 6x24 ruler and a rotary cutter available if some one forgets their stuff.

An alternative to meeting at your own home is seeing if any quilt store in your area, or church, will let you meet for free at their building. I tried this, a quilt store, for about 1/2 a year, but no one came but me at my DD.
Where in SoCal? I would love to find a group to learn from. I am in San Jacinto.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Quilting groups

I have belonged to both large groups and small. I prefer small. The group I belong to now meets in a community room of a housing development. The number of women is fluid but we have a core of about ten. No rules, no dues. We share knowledge and tricks of the trade. We also make charity quilts.We meet once a week on Monday's