Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Groups - Yes or No >

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Old 11-23-2013, 05:51 AM

We moved around a lot during my husband's career. I have belonged to two of these groups over the years and really enjoyed them and loved the fellowship and sharing ideas. Both groups were sub-groups of a local guild. I enjoyed the guilds because of the programs and workshops but I enjoyed the smaller groups the most. I do not belong to one now but get together from time to time with quilting friends to share projects and ideas. Being in such a group is just plain encouraging!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:56 AM

I belong to a guild and have participated in two small groups over the years. The guild is okay, but personalities can sometimes cause problems. Right now the leadership has improved and the gals who want to dictate stuff are not as active, so it has been better. As most groups we have a huge core of gals who don't do their share and a couple who are very pushy.

I have also belonged to two small groups, which initially were wonderful. The first was great until one of the founders invited a friend without asking. That gal caused so much strife that people started dropping out or rarely coming. It has since folded. The second is at the LQS and is okay. It is fun, but everyone is so busy that they don't make it a priority, so it's hard to plan a workshop or whatever.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 AM

I have belonged to two guilds and found most of the members to be standoffish. They have already established friendships and cliques and don't have room for new people so if you don't know anyone there forget it. At least that's how I found it to be. I also quilted in two smaller groups and they were great! They were informal and friendly and also very helpful. Then unfortunately I moved and now I cannot find a small group. Just the two guilds I have belonged to in the past. Someone on this list invited me to join a group where she lives and the people were very nice but unfortunately did not quilt at their meetings.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:08 AM

we started our own little group of 4 at our senior center because the guild were too far, we do field trips, volunteer projects, and we meet avg. 6/month. its working out great.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:24 AM

I think the 'feel like an outsider' thing isn't just with guilds but with any organization that has been established awhile. Lions, VFW, etc.Those who were early joiners have formed links, and a new person feels those fences whether meant or not.

You will see the most active members in any group (Quilt Board and any other forum or email/yahoogroups included) all chat together because they have a history. It isn't meant to be snobbery but it is the common human development. So those of us outside the group aren't very comfortable.

I only belong to one email yahoogroup, and the only time I turn on the mail to recieve the posts is during the mystery coming up. I'm already sick of the ongoing conversations by the regulars Who cares? Not me, but they do...again, human nature.

Don't take it personal... I had the most fun when I put a note in the Portland guilds newsletter asking if there were any quilters that wanted to form a mini-group in my zipcode. I remember well the time one of the members brought a rotary cutter, using it on a breadboard that had a piece of linoleum nailed to it. We were raw quilters then

At the current local guild I just asked during open time if anyone wanted to start a mini group. It too was a wonderful group, only gone now because all the members have moved or sadly, died.

On the same vein I was invited twice to a mini group that had been in existence for about 10 years at the time. Nicest ladies in the world, but they were a group and I was an outsider so I didn't go any more. It is hard to break through that natural comradre and find a spot as a newcomer.

I guess what I'm taking a lot of words to say is don't take it personal...except the lady who was ejected from the dinner...gad, that was COLD!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I belong to a group of women who get together every spring and fall and have a retreat. I met them through my sister. She died in 2003 and I don't feel as welcomed as I did when she was alive.

I have a friend on the board here who I've been pming daily for one year and four months. I live on the west coast and she lives on the east coast. We are the best of friends. We encourage each other and praise each other. We both belong to a few of the same BOMs. She is faster than I when it comes to getting a block done, so I write her and ask her for tips on making the BOM. She's wonderful about that. We show each other pictures of our finished projects - she more than me because she is on a roll! I know this is about joining a group, but I just wanted to share that there are all kinds of ways to belong. I'll never meet her, but she's my best friend and when I was in a rut and couldn't sew, she kept sending me pictures of her quilts she completed and would encourage me to quilt and after seeing all her beautiful quilts, I couldn't help but start to quilt again. I feel we have our own group and it's a great one!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:01 AM

I have been meeting with the same group of quilters for 25 years, we gather once a month at each other house for lunch and quilting, twice a year we go away for a long weekend. But smaller groups gather when there is a project or we need help. We started out with 12 but now there is only 8 of us due to some of the member passing or going to a nursing home, the oldest member is 86 the youngest is 66, we always have such a great time we always joke that we will never need therapy because we have each other. How it all started? we took a beginner quilting class together and went on from there
Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 AM

The wonderful woman who owns our LQS has open sewing every Friday night. It costs $5, but she provides refreshments and utilities. She's also an invaluable source of help
Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Wish you were a little closer as I am in the same boat. I went to a guild meeting and it was small and friendly and I will join, but the driving distance is a little more than I like but it is only once a month. So I am looking to start a group in my little town as I have not been able to connect with the quilters here yet as I just moved here. I prefer small group quilting and have been quilting with a couple of groups back in AK just as you described. So I say go for it and I am doing the same. Also you might try the guild again. It can be awkward at first but then again a larger group might not cut it.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:19 PM

We have started our group in the Bend area, met the first folks thru this site and we decided to get together. Now we meet once a month and have about 10 members and just have a wonderful time! We all look forward to it, do some group project, some teaching, lots of chatting and laughing as well as good food! Some of the newer ladies to the group have mentioned that we made them feel so welcome that they keep coming back. One of the most important things I think is to always treat others the way you want to be treated. I will have to say we have a very successful guild... group or what ever you want to call it.!