Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Groups - Yes or No >

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

I went to a luncheon at a quilt guild just recently. I was invited, verbally but personally and even then said Ok Thank You. I asked should I bring anything; "no". Ok. When I got there the person who invited me never showed up. Everyone asked why I was there and replied by invitation and gave the person's name. The invitation was only 4 days prior. The gal who invited me had quit the guild in the meantime and never let me know. She was an officer in the guild. I was "gently" asked to leave because it was a "private luncheon". When I contact the gal who invited me, she laughingly apologized. I let her know how humiliated I was. I recognized and knew a couple of the members of the guild and said hello. Their only response was "hi" and right away I felt shunned. No more guild for me. I saw one of the members yesterday and asked why everyone was so stand offish. Her response was they really didn't want someone who was associated with the gal who invited me. I told her she could extend my comments back to her guild that I really didn't want to be around those who would not see newcomers as individuals who would only compliment their group.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 PM

My guild is definitely not like the one Tessagin has described. We do have 140 members and have a general monthly meeting with guest speakers, Show and Share, demos, lending library etc. These meetings are informative and interesting but if you really want to know the members better, you need to join one or several of the sub groups and any guild member is welcome at any of the smaller groups. We have a couple of different weekly Stitch and Share afternoons, Community Quilt stitching group, Modern Quilt group, Monthly technique or new pattern group to name just a few all working under the larger guild umbrella. Most of these smaller groups have a core group with other members coming and going. It is such a friendly guild (we're known widely for this) that it all works very well. In my opinion there just shouldn't be snotty nasty guilds who won't welcome newcomers.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:43 PM

I, like Shelbie, am a member of a rather large guild. We have several sub-groups according to various interests. Each meets at different times once a month. I have found that joining in the work days for the charitable organizations we serve was the best way to make "quilting friends". Our LQS also has a couple "clubs" of which I am a member. Met many wonderful quilters that way also. I am also in a church quilting group (not my church, but wonderful ladies to work with and learn from...). Best of luck finding comrades -- they are the best!!

Linda in Missouri
Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 PM

I started a group almost 13 years ago! and we meet 1 time a month at someone's home..........we have lost a few members if they have moved or passed away. We have either block exchanges, ufo challenges to see who gets the most done and they win a fat quarter from each member.
[we have 10 to 12 members max.]

Lots of fun and good friendships. Be careful.......not all women fit into all groups.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:01 PM

I like many others have not had the best experiences joining guilds. I've tried a couple with unsatisfactory results. But I'm still looking and asking carefully. Some groups are welcoming but then get into so much gossiping that I'm offended; others try to push their political or religious opinions and that's not for me either. So I'll continue looking.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:53 PM

I also had a bad experience with a guild. It was full of cliques and I never felt welcomed ... at all! I wish I could find a group like Shelbie is part of! But sadly, there is only one guild within reasonable driving distance, and that is the one I joined ... and left. When I worked full time, I had a quilting buddy there. We worked on our hand piecing projects during lunch, sometimes went fabric shopping at lunch, and swapped fat quarters. That was really fun! So, like MaryMo, I guess I'll keep looking, too, but not with much enthusiasm. I just hear too many negatives.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:50 AM

There is a friendship in my community sponsered by the LQS. I visited it last week and enjoyed it very much. The shop presents new fabrics, patterns and examples of the items. There is a fabric challenge that I have signed up for and a show and tell segment. The group also contributes to the local crisis center. The ladies were friendly and it doesn't require a big commitment of time, it is just what I have been looking for.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:18 AM

I am so sorry to read about such negative experiences. I joined a nice quilt guild which was very welcoming. It did take a little while to get to know other members and for them to know me but since then it's been lovely to attend the meetings. All activities, whether it is a charity sew in, special projects, a class and even the meetings themselves are voluntary. Some members go to all the meetings and others drop in now and then. Love it! I belong to another one geared towards long arm machine users....another great group. I feel so lucky.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Small groups are much better in my opinion. Larger groups attract several Quilt Police and clicks.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:50 AM

I would go to the same group again and see if it is better. If you are friendly and talk to a few people and let them know what you are interested in, you may find that there is already a small group, or maybe several that you could talk to someone about. Our guild has several "groups", although they are not formal ones. They are just several friends who get together to quilt. Also you might ask at your local quilt shop (if you have one) if there is a group that meets to make charity quilts and you might find a good spot there. Our guild also has about 4 people who meet regularly once a month to make charity quilts at our local quilt shop. Don't be afraid to advocate for what you want and the quilters group is probably the best place to do it.