Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Groups - Yes or No >

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Quilting Groups - Yes or No

Old 11-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I have a group that meets every Thursday night at my house for about the last ten years. I have 8 children still at home and we have our own business.

I have it every Thursday evening same time.
You will probably need to provide a large cutting board, iron and ironing board.
You will need snacks and drinks.

Some problems I have run into-
Demanding people that think that I am a free alternative to paid classes at a store.
People that take/use my stuff and at times damage it. This especially applies to rulers, cutters and scissors.
Dominant people that make it miserable for the whole group and or start planning other things instead of quilting, going to movies, eating out etc.
People that come too early and or stay too late.

I do like it and am glad to have it at my house. Currently I am blessed with a studio that is large so we meet in there. For those that are done quilting or can't because of current medical issues there is an area with a couch and tv they can sit or visit. My studio is upstairs which makes it that some people need help carrying their stuff up.

I started this as an alternative for myself to have a quilt group I did not have to pay for. A popular quilt store has a quilt group but it was for pay. Often the group would be full or at other times there were not enough people so it would be canceled on the last moment.

We used to do more things together as a group like a small retreat at a member's home or vacation condo, quilt store runs and conventions but due to the economy this has really slowed to almost none. We now share fabric finds off of Craigslist and others now also bring snacks at times.

Over time I have also put down some basic rules and parameters as to what is available for the group and that I am a participant and not a teacher or store clerk. We do help each other as a group and share if we want to. I do also have an extra 6x24 ruler and a rotary cutter available if some one forgets their stuff.

An alternative to meeting at your own home is seeing if any quilt store in your area, or church, will let you meet for free at their building. I tried this, a quilt store, for about 1/2 a year, but no one came but me at my DD.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 11-23-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 PM

You can search your area at meetup.com and find one to join or start one! I was in a knitting one for a while.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM

The first quilt guild I belonged to I didn't like. I never got that warm fuzzy feeling or felt very welcome. It was only a few miles away. There is another guild here that is huge. I never went there but I have heard it is very clicky. I googled and found a guild that I love. I drive 30 to 40 minutes but I walked in not knowing anyone and felt welcome from the minute I walked in the door. I am now the treasurer and everyone there is so nice and friendly. Several of us meet for dinner before the meeting etc. Look around maybe try another guild.
We do charity projects and other things.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies ladies. I did post on facebook to my friends to see if anyone was interested in starting a group. So far I have only 3 responses, that would make 4 of us. Maybe enough to start with, I don' know. I am going to keep mentioning it to friends and hopefully sometime early 2014 I will be able to start a small friendly stitching group.

I do think I might also return to the guild, not sure. It would be a totally separate thing I think. And I could go to that for the chance to hear good speakers and keep up with what is going on in our town as far as quilting goes.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 PM

I belong to a small guild and a fairly large guild. The small guild is more of a social time and I enjoy that aspect of it. I rarely bring my sewing machine because I always arrive about 1 hour late (sleeping issues) and i yak too much to bother setting it up. The last time I did bring it, I sewed about 4" and then the meeting was over!

The other group is more focused on learning skills and charity work. It's a fun group, but because it is larger it took longer to find my self a group of friends within the larger group. Now I feel like i fit right in.

Both groups have some amazing women in them and I feel fortunate to have met them.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 PM

You're right about personalities clashing.

As a pushy person, I've learned to let the other pushy folks do all the "pushy personality stuff" they want. Life is too short to worry about it, plus I don't want to run anything except the dishwasher anymore.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 PM

I am in Alabama also Tezell. If you aren't comfortable telling me in an open message feel free to pm me and tell me where you are. I am in the Anniston area. Thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 04:53 AM

I belong to a guild of about 40 members. I did not get a "warm vibe" at first, but saw how dedicated the members were to helping each other and to charity quilts. I hung out with them and helped with the quilts and got to know them. We meet three times a month- one a business meeting, one a technique/special project meeting, one an open sewing time (I baste quilts then, women jump in and help me pin). I saw how they rallied around a member with terminal cancer, a woman who suffered a stroke, etc and realize that sometimes you need to earn the trust of members and are not just a taker, but a contributor. Some rules and structure moves the whole ship a bit more effective. We have a quilt show every three years, and I never saw a more cooperative, team, jump right in group of women. They all do different kinds of work and level of expertise. I do a lot of art quilts, and they enjoy seeing that even though most of them are traditional pattern makers. I have learned so much from them. I am grateful for them.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 AM

There are five of us that get together every other week on a Wednesday and sew together and have a great time making things that we want to donate or for ourselves. It's really an informal get together and we have such a geat time. In the winter we meet at each others homes and in spring and summer we meet at our youth center. Good luck with your getting a small group together. It really is a great time.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:56 AM

I started quilting 3 years ago because a neighbor asked me to come to their quilt meeting, she was hosting.
I am now a part of this group. There are 24 ladies in our group, no one else can become a member until someone leaves because we meet in our homes, you can come as a guest. It is a wonderful group, very casual.We have a show and tell, once a year we do baby quilts for mothers who decide to keep their babies, have breakfast made by the hostess. The person hosting hands out a block the month before hosting to be sewn by each women in the group so you end up with 24 blocks to build a quilt of your choice.This group was formed 30 years ago but it doesn't take long for a newly to feel she's known these ladies forever. Form your group it will be worth it and you can share the work with the ladies of your group once your get the group started. Good Luck Mia