View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM
cathyvv

If you're willing to pay $180 and want a newer machine, you can get a Brother Sewing and Quilting machine that has a wider throat and an extension table for machine quilting for about that amount at Walmart. I recently bought one and am very pleased with it. Check on Amazon - you might find it for less there.

My first Brother lasted through 6 years of my abuse, then was dropped on it's head while we were traveling. It had unrecoverable head injuries! I was kind of upset about that because I learned so much about quilting while using it!

Right now I have 3 Brother machines.

I have a basic mechanical that I bought to use when I'm away from home for extended periods - no computerized functions at all. It cost about $75. It works just fine, and I don't worry about someone dropping it on it's head!

I replaced the machine that was broken with a Brother sewing and embroidery machine that I really like for piecing. It's been a year, though, and I haven't even thought about using the embroidery functions!

Also recently bought the Brother Sewing and Quilting machine that I referred to in the first paragraph. I take it to guild meetings and use it for quilting doll quilts. It's getting quite a workout. It comes with a walking foot and a darning foot that can be used when quilting.

Both of these machines have many other stitches, but you're not forced to use them. They do use computers to select stitches and a few other things.

One last thing - in my opinion, Brother sewing machine manuals are among the best manuals for any product that I have seen, read and used. I used to write requirements and user guides for systems, so for me to say that a user manual is 'among the best' is a huge compliment!