Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine! >

Need new sewing machine!

Need new sewing machine!

Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Need new sewing machine!

I have a 35 yr old Kenmore that has never needed servicing that is finally giving up on me. Local repair man said can't get parts for it any more and I've basically worn out the feed dogs. Problem is I'm disabled, on SS and can't afford prices on most new machines. I would like only a basic one (no embroidery) with a good straight stitch, adjustable needle position and stitch length, and the other stitches I use besides a straight one is basic zig zag, the 3 step zig zag, and blanket stitch. Any recommendations for a good, dependable basic machine with these features without having to pay an arm and a leg?

DH saw a Singer H74 at Tuesday morning for $180, but the throat size is awful small and I have read bad reviews on it. Any other recommendations?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM

If you have a dealer near you, see what they have used. I was in the local Singer shop the other day and he had four older used machines that would do what you are wanting for less than $100.00 each.

Most of the new machines that are below $200.00 won't be full-sized machines. If you can afford $350.00, I don't think you could go wrong with the Janome HD3000. Very sturdy and has the stiches you want. http://www.amazon.com/Janome-HD3000-...ords=janome+hd.

If you don't want to go that high, look at these refurbished machines: http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/di...g-machines.php

Last edited by Belfrybat; 11-26-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Have you thought about checking CL or thrift stores for a used machine? If you want a new machine, check out HSN, you can get a Janone, Brother or Juki on payments. You can use a debit card or paypal account and before Christmas you might get a free shipping deal. Plus if you buy now, you have until Jan. 31 to return it if you don't like it. Also if you wait until craft or sewing month (can't remember which) you can get a deal, it is usually March.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Golly, i have a Kenmore that is 40 years old. The bobbin case broke about a month ago and my repair guy replaced it and i had my machine back the next day. I agree with Ragquilter...i got my Kenmore for $35 at the ReStore and its my favorite machine. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I would ask the repairman if he had any leads on used machines.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:53 PM

You should be able to pick up another vintage Kenmore, Singer, Universal............for under $50. The vintage machine forum here has tutorials on cleaning and maintenance so you can clean and repair it yourself. I'm in the same boat as you are, and I've found several machines really cheap. You also may want to post in the "wanted" page on CL for a free machine. I did that several years ago and had 4 machines offered to me within 3 days. Of course, they all needed some minor repair work, but they were free!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:09 PM

If you can get a Singer 201 in a cabinet, it has a larger throat than some of the machines, can drop the feed dogs and you can service it yourself. There are a # of people on the QB that can help you learn how to do your own servicing and possibly even fixing a machine. There are places that sell parts if needed also for machines. The 201 is a nice machine, I got mine for $10 in a cabinet with attachments and foot pedal at auction. No one wanted it. Queen Anne cabinet.[ATTACH=CONFIG]448838[/ATTACH]My cabinet and machine look like this one, I don't have the stool.
Attached Thumbnails cabinet-stool.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 03:36 PM

I have a Kenmore of the same age, a 158-1946 from 1978. It is a workhorse and still going strong. Yes, maybe yours needs some parts but a good tech would suggest finding a donor machine. There are so many good Kenmores out there, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at a thrift store or garage sale, or from a craigslist ad. I have seen great machines with all accessories in the $25 range. Easy to clean and oil yourself. You will have a better machine that a new plastic one made today.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 PM

I recommend you keep a close eye on your local Craig's List. From time to time there are really good deals on previously-owned sewing machines in all kinds of price ranges. Just be sure to "test drive" before you buy.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM

If you're willing to pay $180 and want a newer machine, you can get a Brother Sewing and Quilting machine that has a wider throat and an extension table for machine quilting for about that amount at Walmart. I recently bought one and am very pleased with it. Check on Amazon - you might find it for less there.

My first Brother lasted through 6 years of my abuse, then was dropped on it's head while we were traveling. It had unrecoverable head injuries! I was kind of upset about that because I learned so much about quilting while using it!

Right now I have 3 Brother machines.

I have a basic mechanical that I bought to use when I'm away from home for extended periods - no computerized functions at all. It cost about $75. It works just fine, and I don't worry about someone dropping it on it's head!

I replaced the machine that was broken with a Brother sewing and embroidery machine that I really like for piecing. It's been a year, though, and I haven't even thought about using the embroidery functions!

Also recently bought the Brother Sewing and Quilting machine that I referred to in the first paragraph. I take it to guild meetings and use it for quilting doll quilts. It's getting quite a workout. It comes with a walking foot and a darning foot that can be used when quilting.

Both of these machines have many other stitches, but you're not forced to use them. They do use computers to select stitches and a few other things.

One last thing - in my opinion, Brother sewing machine manuals are among the best manuals for any product that I have seen, read and used. I used to write requirements and user guides for systems, so for me to say that a user manual is 'among the best' is a huge compliment!