View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 01:13 PM
gramma nancy

Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
I know this could happen any where, but I guess call me silly, if I was visiting just for a vacation, I would travel to a safer country. I do understand that some of you are visiting family or for business reasons.
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.

As to the quoted post, it is of course a completely legitimate opinion and works no doubt for many people. But I am among those who want to experience the world and not miss out on wonderful things because I am too worried about what could happen.

I discovered this about myself early in my career. Work had taken me to an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. To get from one level to the next, you had to walk on stair treads made of steel mesh. The staircase was welded to the outside of the oil rig, so I felt like I was stepping out into space and (since there were no risers on the stairs) staring out to the horizon as I walked up. I almost froze in place, but then the thought appeared out of nowhere "Hey, you could just sit behind your desk for the rest of your life."

My mind immediately rejected that option and I literally skipped up the stairs. I learned a lot about myself that day.

I'm off to Tanzania in a few months. So many things to see, so little time.