Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Close-to-the-body purse ideas please! >

Close-to-the-body purse ideas please!

Close-to-the-body purse ideas please!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pegquilter8 View Post
Try the Patty Bag by sophisti-cat. Lies very close to body and really holds a lot.A word on fanny packs. Avoid anyone pushing at your front, they could be grapping what's inside. Saw this in a video about traveling in the Baltic states. The women have trays of stuff they want you to look at and a child slicing into the "pack" while you are distracted. I carry small wallets by Valorie Wells and keep my money, CC in there, reserving the Patty for carrying phone, keys, personals. So sorry this happened; you only need to have it happen once and it is a sad lesson. NOT everyone is as nice as Quilters.
How do I find this Patty Bag from sophisti-cat? I tried a search and got nothing. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM

http://pursepatterns.com/index.php?m...index&cPath=81

scroll down and it is there . 12 bucks yikes!

I have made the sassy bag as shown above, very easy and cute . I like the lazy girl patterns , very easy and they teach you skills that come in handy when you design your own. I also have a pattern for a "mad money wallet" it is small and made to wear across the body. , It would be a good one too . I have had it a long time so don't know if it is in print or not . I do have both of these patterns if interested , PM me . I also seen one in a quilt magazine I bought a while back that you use a chain from the hardware store to weave the fabric through , it could not be cut . May be a good idea for what ever one you decide on. There are so may patterns for free on the internet too .I used to be on a purse kick so I have made a lot of them for other people I will look through my old patterns for more ideas .
Here is the mad money one , I like that it could be worn under your cloths to keep CC and extra cash safe .
http://www.etsy.com/listing/16193217...wallet-pattern

Last edited by raedar63; 11-27-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM

http://pursepatterns.com/index.php?m...image&pID=1001

This one is cute too , you could draw this up your self.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
I know this could happen any where, but I guess call me silly, if I was visiting just for a vacation, I would travel to a safer country. I do understand that some of you are visiting family or for business reasons.
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.

As to the quoted post, it is of course a completely legitimate opinion and works no doubt for many people. But I am among those who want to experience the world and not miss out on wonderful things because I am too worried about what could happen.

I discovered this about myself early in my career. Work had taken me to an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. To get from one level to the next, you had to walk on stair treads made of steel mesh. The staircase was welded to the outside of the oil rig, so I felt like I was stepping out into space and (since there were no risers on the stairs) staring out to the horizon as I walked up. I almost froze in place, but then the thought appeared out of nowhere "Hey, you could just sit behind your desk for the rest of your life."

My mind immediately rejected that option and I literally skipped up the stairs. I learned a lot about myself that day.

I'm off to Tanzania in a few months. So many things to see, so little time.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 PM

I have made several of these.. They are about the right size and have a couple of zipped pockets plus one you can simply reach into. It hangs in the front of your body and when I was overseas I tucked mine into the waistband of my pants. I also wore the strap under my overshirt.

Http://www.bhg.com/crafts/sewing/acc...pockets-purse/

I beefed up the attachment to the strap and made my strap out of denim rather than the embroidery thread. It's a cute bag and works well.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 PM

I also love Baggallini bags and actually got an email from them today that they are having a 25% off sale right now. Have been using mine for over 2 years and it still looks new.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:28 PM

no pattern, but here's a great concept that could be adapted.
http://www.thegrommet.com/fashion-so...s-active-packs
Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 AM

http://www.ameribag.com/HBBevo-Microfiber.html

I have this bag in Medium. I bought it almost 7 years ago and it has traveled with me or my mother many times.

I wear it to the front. It has multiple pockets inside and out, lots of room for bottles of water, snacks and all the things you need to carry when traveling.

The strap is not cut proof.

I keep my passport and larger amounts of money on my body or in a safe if there is one available in a hotel.

Enjoy your travels.