View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 PM
trupeach
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Charisma is right, many people do not understand the time, effort, and money that goes into a quilt. I became very frustrated by this many years ago and found a great solution. It involves a bit of effort on my part but it was amazing how suddenly my quilted gifts were no longer being dragged out to use as a picnic or beach blanket. I bought a timer from WalMart, one of those that you push the button and it acts like a stopwatch in keeping time. It cost about $5. Any time I work on a particular quilt I will keep track of the time spent on the quilt. Once it is done I will add the hours to the label. Many people are shocked when they see the hundreds of hours that go into a good sized quilt and suddenly it is no longer just something to throw around & treat recklessly.

Nothing spins me faster then walking thru the park and seeing a beautiful quilt thrown on the ground, usually in the dirt, with kids running back and forth over it with their dirty shoes. I've sworn to DH I'm going to "rescue" them, at which point he hurries me past because I'm usually saying something naughty just a bit too loudly. It usually goes like this... "I cannot believe they would treat something that took hundreds of hours to make like it was a cheap WalMart blanket. How thoughtless..." I'd spout off about how quilting fabric is $8-$15 a yard and what a waste on people who can't appreciate what they have, but usually hubby has drug me past by then. I know I shouldn't, but it just really bugs me to see something like that treated so poorly.

Oh no........... I plan on making a picnic quilt for myself this winter. I want it a 9 patch with calico, so if you see me on a picnic one day please don't be rude I made it as a picnic quilt on purpose. Also I bought vintage picnic baskets with painted lids, I hope to one day make matching picnic quilts to go with them and give them to my children.