View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
redquilter

On the night my first grandchild was born, my SIL decided he didn't want to be married anymore, nor did he want to be a father - so he left her high and dry in the hospital after having a c-section! She lived about 1 hr from me and after a few months of me paying her rent and travelling back and forth, she went back to work and got a place near me. She's a teacher and when she returned to work, my grandson stayed with me. Fortunately, I run our family business from home, so I was able to work and watch him at the same time. Although there were (and still are) many a night when I'm burning the midnight oil to get paperwork done so I can go to school functions with him. He comes here most days after school and I do homework with him, take him to Karate, for haircuts, to chess lessons, etc. etc. She works on Sat. also, so he's with me. To be honest, it wears me out sometimes, but I love the closeness we have. I do wish I had more "me" time, but this is the way it is and when he looks at me and puts his arms around my neck and says "I love you Nana", my heart melts and I'm so grateful to have him. My younger daughter lives nearly 3 hrs. away and I don't get to see her 2 yr old son often and I find that so strange since I'm with the older boy so much. You know what they say - "when life hands you scraps - make quilts"! In my neighborhood, I see so many grandparents taking kids to school, pushing them in the stroller, at the park, etc. It's the way things are these days.