View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 AM
oldtnquiltinglady

So long as you can buy another machine (for quiet use), do consider the Janome--I recently bought a Janome Sewist ($350, or so) for the quetest demonstration when I went into the sales center; it is everything the lady promised me, plus she included several little cutesie extras (quilting foot and l/4" foot, if I remember correctly). It is pretty, and very light, easy to carry, comes in it's own self-contained case with all the little things you need with a machine; and is very quiet when I am sewing in a room-full of ladies piecing and talking. I took it to a retreat with me, and everyone loved it. I would recommend, though, for home use in a room where everyone is visiting and watching TV, that you place one of those slip-n-slide protectors under it. I think some folks call it a drawer liner.

Also, if you are really serious about the quiet, you cannot beat an Elna. Mine is from the 80s, the top of the line that year, and has never even been removed from the desk it was installed in when I bought it new in Texas. That one is my absolute treasure--but I also have an old Singer (either a 201, or 15 91, I can't figure out which), that I do all my quilting work on (piecing, putting bindings on, hemming every quilt that I have made since about 2008); plus two of my FWs are very quiet. I haven't figured out yet why the other two are so noisy, but they are. I just don't use them enough, I guess.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.....Merry Christmas.