Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding a quiet sewing machine >

Finding a quiet sewing machine

Finding a quiet sewing machine

Old 12-07-2013, 10:44 PM

Default Finding a quiet sewing machine

I'm looking for a quiet and portable sewing machine.
I'd like to take this machine to classes and retreats. Also, needs to be quiet enough for using in the family room. So that I can sew while talking and watching television with my family.

I have several vintage machine. I love these machines but they are loud. I hear others comment that their singer221 and 301s are quiet. Mine are not.
My only modern machine is Babylock Symphony. It is quieter than my vintage machines.

I don't mind purchasing a new machine. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 PM

I have found if your vintage machine is loud then it needs to be oiled and greased. That also goes for the newer sewing machines. Most sewing machines need to be oiled, needle changed and clean out the lint every 8 hours or when you start to hear the sewing machine getting louder, the needle making a poping sound or just depending on projects you are working on. Vintage machines require being oiled for sure around 8 hours of use due to them being all metal inside. Where as the newer one have more plastic part inside. Make sure you are using sewing machine oil and grease. All machines need an over haul once a year, if you can't do it yourself take it in to be done. Check the vintage post on this forum for information on how. It's really not hard to do and it takes only a few minutes to get them back to there quiet running. My vintage are quiet until they need to be reoiled as are my newer one too.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

If you want really quiet try a hand cranked vintage machine - keep it maintained and it won't be loud. Most of them are not all that portable. I think the 66, 99, 15 and 201 machines are more quiet than the FW or the 301 - those two more often have a clickety clack in the bobbin area.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Four years ago I went looking for a quiet sewing machine. I took a sound level meter with me and used it as I tried out various machines at different stores. I kept records in a notebook and found that Janome was the quietest. I admit that the sales clerks were amused, saying no one had ever done that.

I didn't buy a Janome, as I fell for a Pfaff, but at that time, it was the quietest. I don't know what model or anything, but if you are interested in that sound level meter, which I know not everyone has...this was my husband's...he told me that folks who are heavy into stereo music might have one, or they are available at Radio Shack for $39.

I found quite a variety of noise levels in the machines I tried. All were quieter than the machine I had been using.

Hope this is helpful...

Dina
Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Its funny how we all have different experiences. My 1975 Kenmore is the quietest machine i have. I'm often thinking of a way to get it into the living room so i can sew while DH is watching tv. Its my favorite machine for pieciing and i paid $35 for it at the ReStore.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 AM

Hand crank.

machines that aren't set-in can be a lot noisier, and it also can have to do with the table itself. Bouncing and echoing come to mind.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I had not thought about buying a machine that was quiet. But you are right they all seem to have their own song.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 AM

I have an old Elna SU and it is the quietest machine I have ever heard.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 AM

I used to have a noisy machine. I put in on top of that rubberized shelf liner stuff and then some material.. It got really quiet.

I did get a Pfaff Passport and love it. Again, the IDT was the main factor. Now I have a c hoice of either my FW or the Passport for classes, as both are lightweight. In fact when I travel to my daughter's I'll take the Passport.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

​The more solid the surface your machine us sitting on, the more quiet it will be. I have one Bernina on a built in desk and it is much quieter than the Bernina on my table.