Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding a quiet sewing machine >

Finding a quiet sewing machine

Finding a quiet sewing machine

Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 AM

I have a Brother NX-600. Everywhere I've taken it other quilters have mentioned how quite it is. One lady thought it wasn't working right as it was so quite. Don't think all Brothers are this quite.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 AM

I've just had a similar experience with a pre-loved Pfaff 2056 that I bought to take to quilt days. I also bought it for the IDT, not noise, but it's so quiet, often the girls don't think it's running when it is. One thing I didn't take into account prior to purchase was the weight and I almost wish I had now. It's very heavy. Maybe that's why it's so quiet? Nah, I've just got the absolute greatest tech at my local store!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 AM

I guess I never evaluated a sewing machine for how quiet it was. I love the sound of all my machines because it tells me I am accomplishing something. If they seem noisy I clean and oil (if appropriate), put in a new needle and off we go.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by rebeljane View Post
I have an old Elna SU and it is the quietest machine I have ever heard.
I was just going to post the same message. I don't use her often anymore, but will never part with her as she is an old warhorse that never faltered and never saw the inside of a shop for repair. I sewed on her for about 40 yrs. and still haul her out for tough jobs.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

The weight and precision of how the machine is built adds to the quietness. It's hard to find that in the new models. The new machines I've tested all vibrated a lot unless sewing slow.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 AM

I have a Janome 6600 which is much quieter than my old singer or the small Brother I used to have. My DH still needs to turn up the TV when I'm sewing, but at least it isn't so loud that it gives us both a headache.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 AM

The Juki f600 is said to be a very quiet sewing machine. I am not sure how portable it would be though.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 AM

Oil and lubricate... even the 221-FW's... what a difference! I think that goes with many machines.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I guess I never evaluated a sewing machine for how quiet it was. I love the sound of all my machines because it tells me I am accomplishing something. If they seem noisy I clean and oil (if appropriate), put in a new needle and off we go.
I too never thought of this when I shopped and finally bought my first Bernina.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 AM

So long as you can buy another machine (for quiet use), do consider the Janome--I recently bought a Janome Sewist ($350, or so) for the quetest demonstration when I went into the sales center; it is everything the lady promised me, plus she included several little cutesie extras (quilting foot and l/4" foot, if I remember correctly). It is pretty, and very light, easy to carry, comes in it's own self-contained case with all the little things you need with a machine; and is very quiet when I am sewing in a room-full of ladies piecing and talking. I took it to a retreat with me, and everyone loved it. I would recommend, though, for home use in a room where everyone is visiting and watching TV, that you place one of those slip-n-slide protectors under it. I think some folks call it a drawer liner.

Also, if you are really serious about the quiet, you cannot beat an Elna. Mine is from the 80s, the top of the line that year, and has never even been removed from the desk it was installed in when I bought it new in Texas. That one is my absolute treasure--but I also have an old Singer (either a 201, or 15 91, I can't figure out which), that I do all my quilting work on (piecing, putting bindings on, hemming every quilt that I have made since about 2008); plus two of my FWs are very quiet. I haven't figured out yet why the other two are so noisy, but they are. I just don't use them enough, I guess.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.....Merry Christmas.