Old 12-14-2013, 02:54 PM
kclausing

Default HELP!! Heat n Bond mistake on gorgeous applique

I just finished making Toni Whitney's mistral applique. It is gorgeous. However, when I went to stitch down all the edges (this is the center block of a quilt), it is leaving little holes. I did test running over it with an iron and they disappeared a little, maybe after washing they will go away. But maybe not. Very concerned.

After researching on this board (sorry I have been away from this board for a while, as we got guardianship of our grandson 2 years ago), it seems I used the wrong adhesive. I used heat n bond ultrahold which you are not supposed to sew, I assume because of the the holes and also because it will gunk yup your machine. (I already have constant tension issues with my 9" brother.)

Not sure what to do.

Do I continue trying to stitch it (my machine needs a good cleaning anyway)? But what if the holes don't disappear.

I don't trust heat n baond on a quilt without being stitched, especially with all these little pieces. Afraid the heat of the wash and dry would cause them to move or come loose.

Do I just take the quilt back apart and make the center block just a wall hanging?

BTW - this is a gift for my sister in colorado. She has seen pictures of this all through its progress. She will be sooo disappointed.

Ideas?