Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
I've lived with tied quilts all my life (61) and have never had a tied quilt come apart. Perhaps it was the sewing, not the tying??
Perhaps it came apart because of what it was tied with? I have tied quite a few quilts and helped tie many more, and have found that if you use the cheaper acrylic yarns they seem to cut their way through the fabric as they are used and washed. Keep in mind that if you tie with anything not cotton or wool, you need to look for a softer feel, so it is less likely to do this. When you tie with cotton or wool, they will shrink some when washed so tie them just a little looser, so you get a nice look after the first washing. Grandma used to tie hers over a small crochet hook, then slide the hook out from under when she tied with wool, so it would stay nice when it was washed. The best thing about tying with wool is that it gets more secure with age as the wool fibers continue felt with age, leaving little fuzzy bits (usually in a complementary color that becomes part of the charm.)