Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There's Something to Be Said For Tying a Quilt >

There's Something to Be Said For Tying a Quilt

There's Something to Be Said For Tying a Quilt

Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Default There's Something to Be Said For Tying a Quilt

I have a lot of quilting projects that have been stacking up. (Don't we all.) They're all pieced, but not quilted yet. Many of them are, hopefully, Christmas gifts. I'm getting a bit behind, so I decided to tie one of my quilts, instead of having it professionally quilted, or wrestling with it on my own machine. I have to say it looks great! It's absolutely charming and old fashioned looking. The tying only took me about an hour, so I was able to do it while the gift recipient was out of the house for a short time. So, if you're behind like am, try tying instead of quilting!

~ Cindy
Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 AM

I have "machine tied" a quilt and it works really well. Do a few zig zag stitches in the tie location and then lay a piece of yarn, pearl cotton or ribbon over the zigzag, take a couple more stitches then move on to the next location. Tie your choice of yarn, etc in a knot and it looks like you hand tied the quilt.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:27 AM

My favorite winter quilt is tied. So soft and it has a Fat Bat. I tied it with poly yarn (like for sweaters) and I've used it every winter for 10 years. The backing is some kind of cheap poly-blend flannel (like for nightgowns in the day). Tied quilts are very cozy!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
I have "machine tied" a quilt and it works really well. Do a few zig zag stitches in the tie location and then lay a piece of yarn, pearl cotton or ribbon over the zigzag, take a couple more stitches then move on to the next location. Tie your choice of yarn, etc in a knot and it looks like you hand tied the quilt.
Oh...that's a clever idea! I'll bet it looks darling! You could really have fun with that idea...little pom poms, satin bows, buttons, etc.

I agree Mary, The quilts that I'm tying are made of soft, cotton flannel and they're much cozier tied, then smashed down and quilted. There's more loft and softness to them.

I'm going to do a couple more this way and just burrrrnnnnn through my UFOs!

~ Cindy
Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 AM

I have a flannel quilt I am working, that would be sew fun to finish it off. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Wow, such a simple solution to that pile of tops i have! I'm totally on board.

Jo in NC
Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM

I tied my first quilt using the machine, and buttons.. I love the way it came out.. It was so easy. I wasted a lot of thread, as the squares were 3", and there are buttons in each corner. I didn't cut the thread between the buttons until after, so used a lot of thread in the bobbin, and upper thread.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 AM

I've been using embroidery thread to match the colors of the quilt top. My LQS sells it for $0.30 a skein. I haven't used a whole skein yet for a quilt and one was queen size.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM

hmmm neat ideas. Im working on a crazy quilt but am stuck on how to quilt it later on when it comes that time. I liek the suggestion above using satin ribons. Just may try a square to see how it will look. posted a few squares i made on main under "opinions plz and be honest". with black sashing in between and then a satin ribbon to tie it together? hmmm is a thought in progress atm.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Last year when my son got married, I made him a quilt top. I couldn't really afford to send it out to be machine quilting, so asked him which he would prefer, a machine quilted top that would be flatter, or a tied quilt with a puffy batting. He immediately said the puffier batting. We have a carding mill here in our town that makes really nice puffy battings, so I bought one of those, and 6 friends helped me lay it all out and tie it. It turned out great and he and his wife are very happy with it.