Thread: Well then....
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 PM
ThayerRags

Yea, I know we’re off topic, but talking about gardening makes me hungry, so I’m going to keep typing. We’re running 14 tubs in our treadle garden now, and we don’t come anywhere close to growing all of the vegetables that the two of us need. I doubt that we will expand that much. We only raise selected items that we have good luck with and really like fresh. A few tomatoes, okra, jalapeņo peppers, bell peppers, zucchini squash, cilantro, and cucumbers. We’ve piddled with other things over the years, but these seem to be the ones we grow.

We harvested 383 jalapenos this past season. We just can’t seem to get enough of those little “poppers” of a half pepper filled with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon. Several jalapeno halves are in the freezer to hold us over until next season. We cook them indoors and out regularly (the trick is to precook your bacon, but don’t tell anybody...hehehe).

Up until this winter, we harvested cilantro all winter. This colder winter froze the plants. It’s nice to just go out into the backyard and snip off a sprig or two to garnish a plate of Mexican Food, and even better if you can do it year around. We cook nearly all of our own Mexican Food Dishes, including enchiladas (both wrapped and stacked), tortillas (both flour and corn), and tamales (we like to use pork and chicken). Although, fresh pan-fried okra or zucchini squash is just something folks need to have when they can!

CD in Oklahoma