Thread: Singer 648
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Rodney

The sad thing is there was also an older Newhome straight stitch machine in a decent cabinet for $10 and an empty cabinet for $4 there. I don't have room for more cabinets (and really don't have room for the three in the living room right now) and already have good straight stitchers so I had to leave the Newhome behind.
I think at this Goodwill they've realized the cabinet machines aren't as desired as the portable ones so they price them low to move them out. The last portable machine I saw there was priced at $25 and was gone when I went to check a couple days later. I was waiting for a 1/2 price sale on the tag color to get it. I figure I'll have another $20 or so in getting the 648 looking and running good again but it should be worth it. From the info I've seen on line the 648 will have plastic gears, apparently they switched from metal on the 620 series. Looks like new gear sets are pretty easy to get and are not a terrible amount of money so I'm not going to get too worked up about it. I'm going to wait until all those little details in life like bills are taken care of before I shop for parts. Meanwhile I'll try to find a better place for it and start cleaning and oiling.
IIRC I've seen recommendations to NOT grease or oil the plastic gears in these?
Rodney