Singer 648

Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM

I hope he's (she's?) going to be ok. Sounds like it's going to be a long recovery at best.
Rodney
Old 01-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Macybaby was kind enough to sell me the nose cover and metal feed dogs from her model 645 she posted previously. Both parts fit perfectly. Here's a couple pictures.
The first shows the feed dogs side by side. The metal ones from the 645 are on the left. The original rubber ones on the right.
The second picture is of the bottom of the needle plate in an attempt to show the hollowed out area around the feed dogs. I'm not certain but that might be necessary to clear the little "wing" on the metal feed dogs.[ATTACH=CONFIG]456083[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456087[/ATTACH] The last picture is my machine with her brand new nose. It fits perfectly right down to the color.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails singer-648-record-plane-002.jpg   singer-648-record-plane-003.jpg   singer-648-record-plane-006.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM

It's Alive!
I found a Hancock Fabrics in Tacoma yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to see they actually carry bobbins to fit Touch & Sew machines. I picked up a pack, they were the last truly necessary thing I needed to get this machine running. Up until last night I figured it would be an online-only part to order. I've been messing with the machine all morning and it works great! I'm very pleased with it. The only missing part now is the thread holder "cone" on top of the machine. Right now I'm getting by with the thread holder intended for the second spool when doing 2 needle work but the machine is basically done.
Rodney
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 AM

It's Dead!
My daughter wanted to make a zippered pouch yesterday and I don't own a low shank zipper foot yet so we decided to use the 648. We got it all set up and started sewing with it. About 10 minutes into the project Olivia got a big thread jam and the machine stopped working. I cleared the jam and discovered the machine was out of time too.
OK, no big deal. That's why we have multiple machines, right?
We finished on the 620 I picked up a couple weeks ago. The rest of the project went about as smoothly as possible for a frustrated 10 yr old doing something new.
I checked the broken 648 this morning hoping to get a lesson on timing a Touch & Sew. It's not going to happen any time soon. The gear on top of the shaft that drives the lower half is gone. Yes, gone. There isn't a bit of nylon left on the gear. No signs it was ever there either. It's like the plastic turned to dust and just disappeared. All that's left is the metal part of the gear on the shaft. I couldn't even find any broken pieces of the gear.
Weird. The machine worked just fine before yesterday but given it's far worse than just a couple missing teeth on the gear I don't see how. It's like the gremlins that only wreak havoc on Touch & Sews payed me a visit.
Anyway, the 648 is heading out to my shop where it can stay until I pick up a new top gear for it and get a few other projects completed first.
No Miriam, I don't need your hammer, I do plan to fix it eventually. I've poured enough money into that machine that I'm not going to stop now.
The 620 in now in the 648's cabinet and there's just a little more room in the LR for more sewing stuff.
Rodney
Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Rodney,

You have a PM.

Joe
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM

The gears are relatively easy to replace and only cost like $10...but this is very common and one of the reasons they have a negative reputation.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
It's Dead!
My daughter wanted to make a zippered pouch yesterday and I don't own a low shank zipper foot yet so we decided to use the 648. We got it all set up and started sewing with it. About 10 minutes into the project Olivia got a big thread jam and the machine stopped working. I cleared the jam and discovered the machine was out of time too.
OK, no big deal. That's why we have multiple machines, right?
We finished on the 620 I picked up a couple weeks ago. The rest of the project went about as smoothly as possible for a frustrated 10 yr old doing something new.
I checked the broken 648 this morning hoping to get a lesson on timing a Touch & Sew. It's not going to happen any time soon. The gear on top of the shaft that drives the lower half is gone. Yes, gone. There isn't a bit of nylon left on the gear. No signs it was ever there either. It's like the plastic turned to dust and just disappeared. All that's left is the metal part of the gear on the shaft. I couldn't even find any broken pieces of the gear.
Weird. The machine worked just fine before yesterday but given it's far worse than just a couple missing teeth on the gear I don't see how. It's like the gremlins that only wreak havoc on Touch & Sews payed me a visit.
Anyway, the 648 is heading out to my shop where it can stay until I pick up a new top gear for it and get a few other projects completed first.
No Miriam, I don't need your hammer, I do plan to fix it eventually. I've poured enough money into that machine that I'm not going to stop now.
The 620 in now in the 648's cabinet and there's just a little more room in the LR for more sewing stuff.
Rodney
I might have a gear if you can tell me what it looks like.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the kind offer Miriam, I have to put that one on the back burner for now though. I've got at least 4 higher priority projects ahead of it. I also need to decide whether I'm going to replace the other gears too while I'm in there. I have a feeling that would be the wise choice.
This is the gear that disintegrated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEAR-163328-...item35d156e4db
Rodney