Singer 66

Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 AM

Default Singer 66

Singer 66 is in a tredal both have seen a lot of wear, what are they worth and it needs a new belt???
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 AM

Value is subjective. We rarely state a dollar value here because it varies so much from region to region, but just like anything else, condition is the determining factor. Singer 66s are fairly common, they made millions of them.

Belts can be had many places, Sew-Classic, your local sewing machine shop, and other on line places.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What would you be spending on a brand new one? In bad condition you shouldn't have to give an arm and a leg. IMHO they are pretty much all repairable - pay attention to see that all the parts are there. Some parts can be bought on line - that eats into how much you should give for the machine. How do you feel about working on the machine? There are places where you can not find them in any condition and with a high price when you do and then there are places you can find them in any condition and the price is all over the map. The other question is wear. Is it worn looking from neglect or worn looking from being used. Worn from neglect is harder to take care of than worn from being used and used. I find the machines that are worn from being used will be a really good machine when cleaned up. Then there is worn years ago but neglected for the recent 50 years or so. Those will clean up but will take some time. They will still be a good machine when you are done. If you search this board you will find a WEALTH of info on servicing any old Singer you find. I think I would rather see on that has been used and used than one that was cleaned by someone clumsy who didn't have a clue what they were doing. Do your home work and you will be fine.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Around here treadles are more looked at than used these days. The condition of the cabinet is going to be a bigger factor than the machine most likely. Restoring a cabinet is a good way to suck the profit right out a machine. Missing parts are another deal breaker. Singer 66's are good machines but common as dirt in my market.
Your best bet is to watch Craig's List until you get a good idea of what the asking prices are for the machines in your area.
There really are just too many variables to give you a price on any machine.
Rodney
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

A good one can be wonderful to use!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Miriam, you are so smart and readable. I love when you come on here and offer advice. I guess because you've "been there done that", huh?

I tried to find out where the person lives that asked the question, but it isn't shown on her avatar. 66's are hard to find here and the ones you do find are "wore slap out" and put in the barn for the last 50 years 'til grandma or grandpa had to be put in the nursing home sale. Mostly around here you can find 201's and 15 91's. They are just as good IMHO as far as the sewing goes.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM

What's really weird is that I think I've only seen 2 66s here in 3 years. I owned one for a bit, then my cousin got it. It was a 1951 Centennial Godzilla machine. And I finally saw my first Red Eye in real life last year at a thrift shop. If they hadn't wanted an arm and a leg for it, I probably would have pounced on it. Tons of 99s, unbelievable numbers of VS machines, and even 201s are more plentiful here for some reason.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 AM

And I've got three 66 red eyes.

Joe
Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM

That's why I always laugh when people say they're some of the most common machines.... they're everywhere but here
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

I have a bunch of Singer 66s - they don't move around here...