Singer 648

Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Maybe the GW saw my CL ad for that crush and sow?
It is possible I might have one of those noses that didn't get smashed. I know I have a box of gears somewhere - brand new old stock gears.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 AM

I have a 645 I picked up for parts - looks like you need a front cover. We bought it thinking we might need it for some parts for DH's Mom's machine, but we aren't going to now.

If you got the bench with it - that is the most valuable item you picked up. Attachments for these sell for under $10 on ebay all the time, but the stools can easily go for $40 plus shipping.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:42 AM

The non-metal parts for the Touch & Sew machines are fairly easy to get. Looks like a good project.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
..... a box of gears .... - brand new old stock gears.
This doesn’t have anything to do with your gears, but I was so proud of myself when I bought the new parts stock from an old sewing machine shop nearby, including bags of new plastic gears with the distributor’s name and label on them. There were a bunch of new, never-used gears in that bunch. The gears were probably new in the 1980s.

The first time that I got a chance to make use of my gear purchase, I happened to notice a broken one in the bag. What? I couldn’t believe it! How did that happen? They were as brittle as could be, and I broke all of them with my hands by simply snapping them like a cracker. The plastic just crumbled off of the metal hub. LOL I’m sure glad that I didn’t send one out before discovering the problem.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I'll have to look at those gears - I wouldn't at all be surprised if they aren't any good - maybe it's why I don't love those machines, too.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Great score!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:43 AM

My local Goodwill used to have sewing machines with and without cabinets for under $20 and alot of the time under $10. Then they re-arranged the store and got a new manager. The prices doubled on just about everything. I rarely find good deals on sewing or crafting items in general there anymore. I have to drive 45 minutes to the "as is" goodwill to find good deals now. They had a treadle machine at the local store a few months ago for over $200. Recently they had a 1941 Singer (no table) for $180 and then dropped it to $75. They have had it for probably 3 weeks.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 AM

The two GWs around here rarely have anything sewing related. The last one we did find was a Singer 66 in a cabinet.
My wife found it and we went back the next day. It was against a wall with all manners of things surrounding it. A lady was sitting in a chair near it and when I opened the top she said: "There's a sewing machine in there"?! She was totally shocked and surprised. From a distance the cabinet just looked like an end table. Nobody was paying attention. I recognized it instantly, but then I knew what to look for. We got it for around $20 dollars. Great machine, in great cosmetic and mechanical condition. It's a keeper.

But it's one of the very few we've seen here.

Joe
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM

I didn't get the bench with it but that's ok. If one of you do have a nose that fits available, yes I am interested. Just let me know. I also need bobbins and the spool holder. I know the bobbins and spool holder are both pretty easy to get, I saw several sellers on Ebay with them so I think they might still be available new, so they're no big deal. I have the extra spool holder for using dual needles so I can get by for a while using that if need be. If nothing else it's going to be a fun project.
The thrift stores around here are sort of hit and miss. Some are reasonable, others don't price below $25, one where I just bought another box of attachments for a 600 or 603 sells attachments pretty cheap but the machines are all over $40.
The attachments had a small hemmer foot, button foot and binder foot I didn't have with the machine plus 4 more cams. I think a couple are duplicates but still I can't complain for $4. I was after the feet. I also got 2 of the 3 parts for chain stitching if anyone here wants them. I got a complete set with the 648 so these are extras.
Rodney
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Rodney,

Does your bobbins have the white rings or black rings? If they are the black, I have some.

You can get the bobbins and spool pegs from Sew-Classic quicker and easier than eBay.

Joe
Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM

It had one broken bobbin in it with a white ring. I'll check with Sew-Classic.
Thanks,
Rodney