View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Steve

I’m always flattered when people say they like the colors I've picked out, but what amazes me is all the different theories that fly around about color and quilting.

One book I read the lady said, “Folks who use over three colors have no imagination.”

Another said, “You need a minimum of four values.”

And yet another claimed about color, “The more the merrier, put in the kitchen sink if your heart desires, it all fits somehow.”

For me a pattern, once fixed in the mind, kind of calls out for color. The last one I did, the ‘lover’s knot’ looked excellent the way some had done it in the four color scheme, yet after seeing the two tone I spent a while translating the instructions to fit. Then after going through that, I felt a third color in the border (yeah orange) was exactly what the piece needed. Low and behold it worked!

So the question is: do you find the pattern and assign colors, stick to a scheme you’ve seen, or just find fabric and go for it?

I really don’t think there is a right or wrong way, like the majority of what we do as quilters, but am curious what your methods are. Hummm…?