Thread: I saved $100
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Tiggersmom

Thumbs up I saved $100

I purchased a used serger [Hobbylock 796 by Phaf] back in the early 1990's. {$1,000} for quilting because the quilting shows at that time were using sergers for piecing quilting. I know that was a ridiculous amount now that I think of it and have never gotten my monies worth of use out of it. {Live and learn}.

I've had it in for repairs several times and it has been sitting doing nothing for quite a few years.

Last night I decided to use it and it wouldn't budge, frozen almost solid. The motor was surely trying and I know a trip to the repair shop would be around $100. So I got BRAVE and took off the end and oiled the daylights out of it!! After a few minutes the old girl finely with me turning the end knob [sorry I don't know the technical name of the parts] decided to loosen up and a few hand cranks later she took off on her own with the pressure foot!

I might just have enough courage now to work on my two treadle machines that have been sitting for years here in the house that I rescued.

Question: the serger has some plastic parts that are turning a yellowish color...Can those be treated with something to keep them from getting any worse? or is that just the way plastic is???? TIA
Jennifer