I saved $100

Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Thumbs up I saved $100

I purchased a used serger [Hobbylock 796 by Phaf] back in the early 1990's. {$1,000} for quilting because the quilting shows at that time were using sergers for piecing quilting. I know that was a ridiculous amount now that I think of it and have never gotten my monies worth of use out of it. {Live and learn}.

I've had it in for repairs several times and it has been sitting doing nothing for quite a few years.

Last night I decided to use it and it wouldn't budge, frozen almost solid. The motor was surely trying and I know a trip to the repair shop would be around $100. So I got BRAVE and took off the end and oiled the daylights out of it!! After a few minutes the old girl finely with me turning the end knob [sorry I don't know the technical name of the parts] decided to loosen up and a few hand cranks later she took off on her own with the pressure foot!

I might just have enough courage now to work on my two treadle machines that have been sitting for years here in the house that I rescued.

Question: the serger has some plastic parts that are turning a yellowish color...Can those be treated with something to keep them from getting any worse? or is that just the way plastic is???? TIA
Jennifer
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Congrats on getting your serger up and running! Feels great, doesn't it? As a complete novice, I recently learned how to clean and oil and lube my vintage machines. And I even took a tension assembly off and fixed it. You will find so much help here in the Vintage Section. There is so much knowledge and a willingness to share. Looking forward to your journey.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:09 PM

The plastic is reacting to both air and sunlight. Many plastic machines and cases have yellowed over the years. It's a common complaint. My Janome 9000 case is really yellow. The machine is fine because it's stored in the case. There is a hydrogen peroxide mixture that is available to purchase or to make on your own. Computers have had the same issue. If you google Retrobright or yellowing plastic there are quite a few sites and recipes. I've never tried it, so I can't confirm that it works, but it sure looks like it does if you want to take the time to try it.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Thank you both for the information and the encouragement!

After 'working' on my featherweight it cost big bucks to get it fixed so I was a bit leery to doing anything but now I have a new confidence!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 AM

My Pfaff 788 is as yellow as can be! It runs like a champ, though.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 AM

You are brave, I can't imagine using a serger to piece a quilt.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:03 PM

I did a small test with the retrobright solution using regular old peroxide that you can get in the pharmacy. There was definite lightening. I have stronger peroxide in the garage waiting for me to try again. I need sun. Warm sun for it. It won't be soon.

With your serger, I would strongly recommend taking off all the panels you can see and oiling again. Everywhere metal rubs on metal. This is what a serger looks like when I service one:
http://www.archaicarcane.com/a-littl...-machine-sick/

So, yes, save the $100, but go in as far as the shop would have. Make notes / take photos if you need to so you can get it back together right, but get all the spots that need to be oiled.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Gas heat can also cause yellowing. My Old Janome is yellow and my daughter's refrigerator handle t he same. They are beige now from gas heat. Imagine how our lungs must look.