View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 PM
chrisfromtx

Unhappy In tears about my first quilt

I made about 200 6 1/2 inch nine patch blocks. I had trouble right away placing them in what I thought was a pleasing way. I used about 15 different, coordinating fabrics and muslin. Most of the blocks I made were just 2 fabrics and sometimes I would invert the combination. My aunt, who is a quilt maker, wanted to help. She told me that it would be easier to make a pattern with a four patch (thanks alot aunt). She thought I should take them apart. I said No Way! But she's kind of bossy and eventually she said she would take some apart and help me come up with a pattern. I thought she might just take one of the strips off, so I would have a 3 patch and a 6 patch, but she knows what she's doing Right. Well she designed for me a beautiful quilt top, what she calls a Trip Around the World. As she was explaining it to me I noticed that she had strips of 3 patches and single pieces. I asked her how I was going to put this all together, she never had a satisfactory answer, and then it dawned on me that my quilt was a mess. I have 2 1/2 inch pieces, 5 inch pieces, and 6 1/2 inch pieces. I don't know where to start. Am I wrong in thinking that she got me into a jam. I wanted my first quilt to be simple and easy to put together, now I have mess that all I can see it as is a jigsaw puzzle. What can I do? Where do I start?
Thank you for any help you can give me,
chrisfromtx