Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Macybaby

"Good" depends on what you want. It's perfectly fine to use, and it's easy to get parts because it is a Singer 15. However I'd never get it as I love the look of the older treadles, and don't want to waste floor space on something like that. BUT - that is just personal preference - I think that newer style treadle is UGLY - I love the look of the old iron - and there is nothing stylish about that new style.

However, if I was collecting Singer treadles, then I would probably want that style. If I wanted a treadle machine for regular use, then I might want that one too, because I can get bobbins and replacement parts for it easily. If you have an older other mfg machine (like a White VS) you may end up having to pay through the nose to get needles, bobbins and shuttles for it. That isn't a problem if you are only going to use it occasionally, and not for things you are likely to break needles doing. A jeans repair could get expensive if you break a $3 needle doing it.

Based on the one I have, the quality of the cabinet is not near as nice as the older ones, it really was sold as a bare bones machine - probably to people in South Dakota who didn't get electricity run to their houses until the mid 40's to 50's. BTW - my house was one of them LOL!! Or it was marketed specifically for the Amish community.