Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I Might Have Found My First Treadle - a 15-90. >

I Might Have Found My First Treadle - a 15-90.

I Might Have Found My First Treadle - a 15-90.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Default I Might Have Found My First Treadle - a 15-90.

i might have found my first treadle listed in my Local Thriftstore and it's a 15-90. granting it's still there. i will try and check with them tomorrow and fingers crossed that this one is still available. this is the treadle that i really want - a 15-90. it looks like there is a new leather belt and seems like there is also a buttonholer included and might be a centennial edition. wish me luck.

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2014-01-15-6.04.15-pm.png  
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM

Awesome, though it is a 15-88, and not a 15-90.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM

Wow. That's awesome.

And yes, 88, a 90 would have an outboard motor.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Wow. That's awesome.

ooops. my bad.yes, a 15-88. thanks for the correction.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 AM

the 15-88, 89, 90 are all the same machine, the last two digits denote the power source

88 - Treadle
89 - Hand Crank
90 - External motor

I converted an 88 to a 90 and gave it to a 12 year old budding sewest. Along with a full set of attachments, and she loves the machine. I've still got the treadle base out in the shed - the wood was ruined.

The 91 is the same basic machine, but has the potted motor on it.

According to ismacs, Singer made this style from 33-41, and the potted motor version from 30-56.

Most of the ones before that are the 15-30 group, made from 1895 to 1933, though there are a few other variations of Domestic machines in there.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM

macybaby - since you had a 15-88 treadle, is this a good treadle or should i look for a white rotary ? the 15-88 is being sold as is for $50. a white treadle here cost about $100-250 ? out of my price range but i can wait if the white rotary will be a better treadle than this 15-88. thanks again.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Wow. That's awesome.

cool! Johnson or Evinrude? I know there were gas powered Maytag wringer washers, but I had no idea... [chuckle]
Old 01-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Banned

just a reminder that my White treadle is $75
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM

"Good" depends on what you want. It's perfectly fine to use, and it's easy to get parts because it is a Singer 15. However I'd never get it as I love the look of the older treadles, and don't want to waste floor space on something like that. BUT - that is just personal preference - I think that newer style treadle is UGLY - I love the look of the old iron - and there is nothing stylish about that new style.

However, if I was collecting Singer treadles, then I would probably want that style. If I wanted a treadle machine for regular use, then I might want that one too, because I can get bobbins and replacement parts for it easily. If you have an older other mfg machine (like a White VS) you may end up having to pay through the nose to get needles, bobbins and shuttles for it. That isn't a problem if you are only going to use it occasionally, and not for things you are likely to break needles doing. A jeans repair could get expensive if you break a $3 needle doing it.

Based on the one I have, the quality of the cabinet is not near as nice as the older ones, it really was sold as a bare bones machine - probably to people in South Dakota who didn't get electricity run to their houses until the mid 40's to 50's. BTW - my house was one of them LOL!! Or it was marketed specifically for the Amish community.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Update: i got it and was able to come down to $30. reason is, the machine's fly wheel is stucked and will not move and i broke the back plate cover screw when i use a plier to unscrew it. also the cabinet is partly beat up and need new veneers. i was there for an hour checking the machine and thinking if i should buy it or not as it's a new territory to me. but the curious in me, i decided to get it . this will be a challenging project. to make a non moving parts move, and rusty parts unrusty. now i need your help guys (sorry).

on a good note, it comes with original manual, some attachments, a new leather treadle belt and a buttonholer. i took the machine off the cabinet as i can't put it inside my small car. they were willing to hold the cabinet for me as i need to get a bigger truck to haul it.
Attached Thumbnails photo-5.jpg   photo-4.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-1.jpg