View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Sandy1951

Originally Posted by judithb
I will admit to letting the cats sleep on one of my quilts. The first 5 minutes it was on the bed one of them threw up on it. It was a pretty defining moment in quilting for myself. Either I don't use them or suck it up and enjoy the quilts. By the time the quilt was dry I put it back on the bed. I use a clothes brush on it every week to get the fur off and wash it every couple weeks. It looks good. However, there is one quilt I made that I won't put on the bed. It has a white background and has a lot of applique. That one is for special occasions.
I don't ask my daughter about the quilt I made for her and 1 for her DH, nor do I go upstairs to look in the bedroom. They have 3 big dogs. There are things better left unknown!! :lol:
I've been wondering how many quilters here let their cats sleep on their quilts. Our three cats sleep on our bed every day. And, of course, they shed and throw up on it occasionally and cause me to wash the bedspread much more often than I would have to if they weren't allowed on the bed. I've thought a lot about what to do when I make a quilt for our bed (which I haven't done yet). Do I let them on the bed, knowing what will happen, or start banishing them from the bedroom? I even thought about making a cat quilt to put on top of our quilt for them to lay on. Then I thought that would be a little silly because I certainly hope to make a quilt for our bed that I'll want to look at and enjoy.

I'll probably end up doing like you do, Judith, because I'm too soft-hearted to banish the cats from the bedroom. My DH sometimes banishes them, but only when they throw up when he's in the bed. :-D He usually forgives them by the next night. We'll have a large window seat in the living room of the house we're moving to, so I'm hoping they'll choose to sleep there most of the time and stay off the bed. They love to look out the window and soak up the sun.

I'm trying to get quilts made for my granddaughters and I've already decided to try not getting upset over how they'll be treated. I know the girls will love them, but they may end up getting dragged all over the house and thrown on the floor. Also, my daughter and her husband don't have the best laundry habits. He throws the girls clothes in with his work clothes :thumbdown: (finally figured out a place to use the thumbsdown!) and they both mix white clothes in with anything. They never bleach their whites so they're always dingy and gray. I taught my daughter how to do laundry better than that, but she's evidently forgotten everything she learned. I can only imagine how the quilts will get washed. :roll: I want the girls to use them, so I'm not going to worry about it, but if I make something that I spend a huge amount of time on, like an appliqued quilt, it will be for a wall hanging for their room.