View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 AM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am assuming it is hand sewn and fragile. I would put an old sheet in the bathtub first under the quilt. I would then fill the tub with warm water to cover the quilt and use a mild soap or quilt soap like retro clean. I would hand agitate it and then allow the water to drain. I would then run in clean water, agitate and let it drain until mist of the water was out. I would then use the sheet to lift the quilt out into a laundry basket. I would then bring it to the washing machine and gently place it around the tub sides and allow the machine to spin the water out. I would then lay it out flat to dry if I had a place big enough. If it was warm enough, I might put it on the sheet outside on the grass.
I agree with Tartan. Using a sheet underneath the quilt will help support it. You have to judge if it will be OK in a spin in a washer. When you do this will depend on the weather outside your home. I would lay it out somewhere to dry where it will be safe from animals and kids out of direct sunlight. Good Luck !!