Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning old Yo-Yo quilt >

Cleaning old Yo-Yo quilt

Cleaning old Yo-Yo quilt

Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 AM

Default Cleaning old Yo-Yo quilt

Hi-
Years ago my grandmother and i made a yo-yo quilt--years pass--gram has been gone many years--i am now a great grandma--i have resewn and replaced worn pieces and am now ready to clean it. i can wash in bathtub (good or bad idea?)--but getting it dry has me perplexed--tying it up in a sheet and running through dryer has come to mind--(good or bad idea?) Open to all suggestions---thanking you for your help---terry
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I really think the dryer would tear it apart, even wrapped in a sheet. I would just lay it out flat on a sheet to dry.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Other than replacing worn pieces and resewing some areas, what kind of condition is it in. Also depending on how dirty it is, size. Factoring all that in it just really depends. If it's been a long time since the quilt has been used or stored. If it's hand quilted or machine quilted. I have a detachable shower head. DH made me a sweater screen (I call it). It fits over the bath tub. When I had to dry the sweaters flat, it worked great because the air could circulate and after washing the sweaters to make sure they were rinsed well, I took the detachable shower head and sprayed the sweaters to rinse clear. Then laid them flat on the screen they dried over night or when I was at work. you might be able to try a process similar.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I am assuming it is hand sewn and fragile. I would put an old sheet in the bathtub first under the quilt. I would then fill the tub with warm water to cover the quilt and use a mild soap or quilt soap like retro clean. I would hand agitate it and then allow the water to drain. I would then run in clean water, agitate and let it drain until mist of the water was out. I would then use the sheet to lift the quilt out into a laundry basket. I would then bring it to the washing machine and gently place it around the tub sides and allow the machine to spin the water out. I would then lay it out flat to dry if I had a place big enough. If it was warm enough, I might put it on the sheet outside on the grass.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am assuming it is hand sewn and fragile. I would put an old sheet in the bathtub first under the quilt. I would then fill the tub with warm water to cover the quilt and use a mild soap or quilt soap like retro clean. I would hand agitate it and then allow the water to drain. I would then run in clean water, agitate and let it drain until mist of the water was out. I would then use the sheet to lift the quilt out into a laundry basket. I would then bring it to the washing machine and gently place it around the tub sides and allow the machine to spin the water out. I would then lay it out flat to dry if I had a place big enough. If it was warm enough, I might put it on the sheet outside on the grass.
I agree with Tartan. Using a sheet underneath the quilt will help support it. You have to judge if it will be OK in a spin in a washer. When you do this will depend on the weather outside your home. I would lay it out somewhere to dry where it will be safe from animals and kids out of direct sunlight. Good Luck !!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 AM

I made one of these about 20 years ago and it had about 30 yds of fabric in it. I have always wondered how I would ever wash it. I don't use it much so it really doesn't need washing now. One thought I had was about fading as I didn't prewash the fabrics before I started. Think a Color Catcher would keep it from being ruined?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM

When you are washing/soaking the quilt in the tub if the water turns colors be sure to keep the water running and draining until the water is clear. If you let the quilt soak in the colored water you will be dying it.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan, and be sure to follow Nammie's advice to keep lots of water running and draining if you see any color in the water. If you lay it outside on a sheet to dry, be sure it is in the shade (sunlight fades fabrics fast) and cover the quilt with another sheet in case birds fly over. Anchor the sheets with rocks or bricks.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM

I decorated a t-shirt one time with some yo-yos and when I washed the shirt the yo-yos turned up on edges
Old 01-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by terry101 View Post
Hi-
Years ago my grandmother and i made a yo-yo quilt--years pass--gram has been gone many years--i am now a great grandma--i have resewn and replaced worn pieces and am now ready to clean it. i can wash in bathtub (good or bad idea?)--but getting it dry has me perplexed--tying it up in a sheet and running through dryer has come to mind--(good or bad idea?) Open to all suggestions---thanking you for your help---terry

I want to thank all that have responded with ideas on cleaning my quilt--putting a sheet under the quilt in the tub sounds like a winner---drying it flat seems to be a safer way to dry it---i looked outside this morning and decided to wait until Spring!!!!--i have this vison in my head of the boy in the Christmas Story getting his tongue stuck on the flag pole---with what i see outside my window am afraid the quilt would get stuck on the snow and ice till spring thaw!!!! and besides i am in hibernation mode!! Thanks to you all---terry