View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 PM
cathyvv

Have you considered a second hand quilting machine? I bought a used HandiQuilter16 about 3 years ago and absolutely love it. My DH cleans it for me. When he opens it up, the only place there is some dust is around the bobbin case. Otherwise, it's very 'dust free'. Babylock Tiara is the same as the HQ Sweet 16, so if you like the Tiara, you would probably be happy with a used H! Sweet 16. I'll guess that you can buy a new Tiara or HQ Sweet 16 in the $5,000+ range, but haven't kept up with their prices since I bought my used one.

When I bought the HQ16, a Janome 9" 1600 (I think that's the model) was thrown into the deal. I gave it to my sister, and neither of us could get it to work. Since it was 'free' to us, my sister had it serviced. Turns out all it needed was a good cleaning. She's happy with it and also uses it to piece. I think that a new one is in the $800 - 1000 range, but didn't actually price it since it was thrown into the HQ16 purchase at the last minute.

If you want a larger machine at a relatively low cost, look up the 'New Joy'. When I was looking a few years ago, it was priced at around $1200, and had a 16 inch throat.

Happy hunting!