Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lookiing for quilting machine >

lookiing for quilting machine

lookiing for quilting machine

Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Default lookiing for quilting machine

I can't afford a quilting machine and frame for thousands of dollars so I've been looking at the baby lock Tiarra's, but can't find a price on them. Anyone know? I've also looked at the Juki's 2010, for $899.00.
Juki has a 9 inch throat, most of the others have a 8.5. I really need a quilting machine and a heavy duty machine. I have a Kenmore that has many different stitches and runs great. I also have an Esante Ese 2 embroidery machine. My Esante will not do free motion that looks good so I am using the embroidery hoop with a quilting design, but I am tired of hoop, and it takes too long. I need the right tools for the right job,.
Any information will be appreciated. Thanks, Syl
Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 PM

I just got the Juki 2010 for the same reason. I can tell you, it sews like a dream! I am replacing my other machine with this one for all piecing and quilting! The automatic thread cutter and needle threader - I don't know how I lived without them.

The Juki, while it has a little shorter throat than other models, is a bit higher as well. I have only done a lap quilt so far, but had absolutely no problem!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 PM

Have you considered a second hand quilting machine? I bought a used HandiQuilter16 about 3 years ago and absolutely love it. My DH cleans it for me. When he opens it up, the only place there is some dust is around the bobbin case. Otherwise, it's very 'dust free'. Babylock Tiara is the same as the HQ Sweet 16, so if you like the Tiara, you would probably be happy with a used H! Sweet 16. I'll guess that you can buy a new Tiara or HQ Sweet 16 in the $5,000+ range, but haven't kept up with their prices since I bought my used one.

When I bought the HQ16, a Janome 9" 1600 (I think that's the model) was thrown into the deal. I gave it to my sister, and neither of us could get it to work. Since it was 'free' to us, my sister had it serviced. Turns out all it needed was a good cleaning. She's happy with it and also uses it to piece. I think that a new one is in the $800 - 1000 range, but didn't actually price it since it was thrown into the HQ16 purchase at the last minute.

If you want a larger machine at a relatively low cost, look up the 'New Joy'. When I was looking a few years ago, it was priced at around $1200, and had a 16 inch throat.

Happy hunting!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM

Bailey's has a PRO 15 in a table for around 2500 dollars.

I don't know your budget, but this is a good machine for the price. I have one and I love it.

With the sit down version the only speed and stitch control is YOU. If you can free motion on a home sewer than you can free motion with this machine.

http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/bahoqupro15.html
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 PM

I have a juki straight stitch only on my frame but I use a friends juki with stitches and whistles and bells. These machines are very popular with a local group of quilters who think they are fantastic, do everything except make a drink. One friend who is partially sighted thinks it is marvellous.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 AM

I love my Juki 2010! It's been perfect right from the box. Best money I ever spent on a machine.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 AM

I have a Brother PQ-1500S High Speed Straight Stitch Sewing Machine...it is very similar to the Juki. It only straight stitches and I use it for both quilting and piecing. It cost me $899.00 about 3 years ago. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 AM

I have a Baby Lock Jane on a long arm table. I don't recommend it. Have to move the machine all the way to the end of the table to thread and change the bobbin. It only has a nine in throat that fills up quickly. Also when quilting you need to sew down the sides of the quilt as you go along and with such a small throat that is impossible. Pulling the bobbin thread up when you start to sew is impossible also.
Now I have to try and save up for a larger machine. Finding that most machines come as a package with the table.
Small machines are just not made for a long arm set up.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM

Rose Marie shared a very important and worthwhile comment that small machines are just not made for a long arm set up. Limitied space to quilt will soon become a serious drawback, stiffling creativity. We all need to set ourselves up to succeed and continue to grow in knowledge and ability, not paint ourselves into a very small corner.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 AM

When I bought my Janome 6600 I started off looking at a smaller, simpler machine.

The dealer pointed out that it's better to buy a machine that's a little bit MORE than what you need NOW, so you have room to grow. At first I thought that was just a bunch of hooey and they just wanted to upsell me but then I thought about it and really took a good look at the 6600 and what it could do and realized she was right. So I took a small risk and spent the extra $$ and I am SO GLAD that I did!! I've only had the machine about a year and a half and I've definitely grown into it. Now I want to add a true longarm to my arsenal of tools but I just don't have the space for a frame and not sure I want to compromise with a sit-down machine.

Now I'm wishing I would have thought about buying a HOUSE that was more than I needed because I need to upgrade my home so I have room for my sewing toys! LOL